Can you take the shot when you need to?

5 Likes

Good stuff, but way better without pushing pistol reflex optics. Whether one uses a reflex optic or not, if he/she lacks the fundamental eye-brain-hand coordination to use detail focus AND peripheral focus in a rapidly shifting (nothing in the consciousness is actually simultaneous) way under lethal threat, the gear won’t make a difference. So I see that as a distraction from the real message of the article, which is to train your eyes and brain for combat. This takes most adults years of relentless effort to develop. Athletic children master it before puberty, and the psycho-motor skills are theirs until their dotage. A month ago, a few old vets on a motorcycle ride I was on were talking about this being the main reason they still ride motorcycles: keeps the “reflexes” fresh.

6 Likes

I like my red dots and my iron sights. The reality is that red dots are great for quick acquisition but iron sights are more accurate. Ideally, you co-witness your red dot with the iron and get faster acquisition and increased accuracy.

8 Likes

I have no problem with reflex optics, even on pistols…IF people train on them and maintain them sufficiently to use them in a fight. I’m simply making the point that the SKILLS are the key, not the gear. I have presbyopia. Now that reflex pistol sights are a legit option, I’m thinking seriously about adding 1 to a duty size pistol for open carry and home defense. Right now, I have to run a laser for low light, which is less than ideal.

4 Likes

I’m with you @Ken38! Not every firearm I have has reflex optics but they all have iron sights. I believe everyone needs to train with iron more than other optics. I have never had a battery die on my irons sights.

7 Likes

I’ll have to admit I rely on point shooting for anything inside 10 yards, I never even see the sights. That is the benefit of a half million rounds out of one gun. Now the hostage target brings up an interesting point. Given that I point shoot well can I point shoot to that level of accuracy? Mmmmmm probably not any more but if I have time to acquire the sights and actually AIM the gun then yes I would be good with that shot within a reasonable distance. I have not yet played with reflex optics but would find them cumbersome as I carry at 4:00 ish with a forward cant and the rear sight is barely above my belt line .

The wife has begun binge watching “Bones” the TV show from the beginning. Season 1 episode 2 (I think) Booth took a shot with a 9mm from the 2nd story of a mall on a bad guy with a bomb, probably 50 yards away on the first floor and of course hit him in the head. I commented that it would be damn near an impossible shot. My youngest looked cross sideways at me and said “Why damn near impossible?” 45 minutes of ballistics tables, geometry, trigonometry and other MATH, my son says “Nobody could have calculated that shot in 5 seconds and made it unsupported from a Weaver stance even if he was a sniper.” I was proud that he recognized the Weaver stance!

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

That kind of shot would really depend on distance and what you see. Hitting the head is not necessarily a complete shut-off either if you don’t hit a vital spot. Add on a adrenaline dump and you could end up hitting your loved one.

You don’t take the shot, you and your loved ones could all die.

It would be better to teach your loved ones to never submit to that submission, and if they end up in it, to try to fight out.

4 Likes

That is a good point. Not just teaching to not submit but, to avoid if all possible too!

4 Likes

Funny thing is that when my adrenaline gets going so does my agility.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service.

And I agree staying alert and being able to read situations goes a very long way.

As for taking the shot…I pray to god I never have to. But if I do then yes I can and will.

2 Likes

@KillJoy Like Jack Burton always says at a time like this…

Who?

Jack Burton. Me!

2 Likes

"Can you take the shot when you need to?"

Clicked on the title… thought it was a drinking game.

6 Likes

Awwwww man you didn’t pull out Jack Burton!!! Reach for some Snake Pliskin!!! Snake Pliskin and Hell Tanner were my hero’s in high school, right there with Mack Bolan. Yep I grew up in the 70’s and survived the 80’s and truth be told I’m going for the Jack Burton, Snake Pliskin, Jed Eckert and Johnny Castle hair do as my Wuhan Flu protest, I’m pretty close to “The Dude” now. Glad at my age I still have hair to tuck up under my hat.

Cookie to the person that can figure out all the references.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yeah…my hair was too straight and fine to even aspire to that. So I grew a beard and ponytail after leaving the military. But I woke up one morning in my late 30s to find half of my hair on my pillow. I’ve been shaving my head ever since. I’m pretty sure my Mack Bolan collection was partially responsible for destruction of the Amazon rain forests and I have been married to April Rose for almost 26 years.

:shushing_face: Don’t give away all of our secrets like that. We don’t want to end up like Samson.mack bolan

P.S. I admit to having to look up Johnny Castle, but I was tracking the rest. LOL

I grew up in the 70’s and it was Bruce Lee, You need to become as water and be flexible and yet powerful. You need to be able to change from one form into another as required. i told those I was in the Corps with that I was going to get fat and grow a pony tail and become a police officer. Two out of three isn’t bad!!!

2 Likes

I have a jay frame 642 sw- need to. Be close but I’m sure I can take the shot- and better know when not too.

But most optic equipped pistols have backup iron sights, so IF the battery dies you can immediately use the irons. I have had iron sights fail as well as optic sights on handguns, it does happen. I do agree, learn irons, but I believe optic sights are the way of the future and they are here to stay.

1 Like

As I said, I love my red dots! But, when all else fails, I can always depend on my irons!

1 Like

I think the fact that you open carry, diminishes my respect for all the rest of what you wrote. Open carry is just the symbol for “shoot me first”. Sorry to be so blunt on our first interaction. I am a retired sheriff’s deputy with 37 years on the street. The last 30 of them I was a firearms instructor. I was a certified Master Level III SWAT officer and instructor. Just giving out some “street cred” here. My CALEA accredited agency taught our students to ALWAYS hide their firearms with clothing when in civilian attire. If the weapon needed to be exposed, it HAD to have a police badge easily seen next to it on the belt. Even after retirement, I am always armed when I go outside my home. My weapon is concealed when I do. I don’t want to be the first target if the SHTF.

2 Likes

@Daniel153 Honestly, I don’t care what you think. So knock yourself out.