Can you say NO?

I’ve never thought of this. When called as a witness and you step into the box to testify; when you put your hand up can you say no? I figured that you would be put in jail until you agree to testify but I didn’t know that there is a time limit.

4 Likes

I’ve laughed most of my life that they have people who do not believe in a/the god swear on the bible. Pretty funny stuff.

I guess you are not only compelled to testify but to testify truthfully under penalty of perjury.

2 Likes

I think the answer to that is “Aaaaa I don’t recall…”.

7 Likes

Some prosecutors will asked a judge to declare a witness “hostile” during a proceeding either because a witness is scared to testify a truth under oath, selects to become non compliant, or simply refuses to acknowledge the legal system / due process. From what I’ve learned from a LEO Father and friends that have been lawyers explained to me that judges have leverage with rules of law regarding a charge of contempt. Withholding witness testimony viewed as a “hindrance” to the court or the process(es) of law especially but not limited to the discovery phase of a case. The courtroom is the last step in finalizing what exactly happened answering the 5 W’s and How. Just saying no won’t cut it. Even a summons for jury duty. Fastest way out of that - They must’ve done something or they wouldn’t be here answer during a jury selection interview! Lol

1 Like

It is my understanding that perjury charges are rarely prosecuted. Nor sure I’d want to rely on that, but there it is

1 Like

I asked the judge on the case I was a juror about exactly that. Many of the witnesses testified totally different than the statement they had given the police at the time of the crime. He said that in his decades on the bench he had never seen anyone charged for perjury when they testify different than what they told the police.

2 Likes

There is a difference between “telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth” in the court and telling what you think just happened and may be a truth while talking to the Police.

In first case, telling the truth is a must, in second case, telling the truth is your choice.

1 Like

You can say anything you want, however:

1 Like