Can I shoot .38 super auto +p out of my Taurus m85 rated for .38 special+p?

Yea I’m sure that .38 super would just bounce and hit the edge of the barrel out of my Taurus. I was going to email Hickock45 lol but I found this forum I didn’t know I had access too

1 Like

Believe the 38 super does not have a rim so it may not even fire in your revolver. It is a high pressure load though similar to a 347 magnum so could damage you’re revolver if it did go off.

1 Like

Yea it has a rim which was weird to me because it’s auto and I didn’t realize it was auto until I got home haha

You Tube is a great resource, lots of knowledgeable people and more then a few idiots, chose wisely. :+1:

2 Likes

Hickock45 and Iranveteran8888 all the way and some Paul Harrell is all I watch. Paul Harrell goes into deep detail and experiments with different calibers.

2 Likes

I would not make a habit of shooting .380 in my 9mm, I tried 6 just to see. Just so I know, I know in an emergency if I am out of 9mm and have access to .380 it can be done. You have a single shot semiauto. :wink:
@Rico_unknown Sage Dynamics it another training site I use. :+1:

2 Likes

Good to know you have options when the world falls apart! I have heard that with moon clips you can shoot 9mm out of a 357 revolver. But I haven’t tried it. My 357 is a little too nice to experiment with:)

2 Likes

No No No, don’t do it. :us:

2 Likes

[quote=“BRUCE26, post:26, topic:73909”] I
know in an emergency if I am out of 9mm and have access to .380 it can be done.
[/quote]

Emergency? If you shoot 9mm, you should never be out of 9mm; much more common, easier to find and half the cost of. 380.

I wouldn’t think running out of 9mm at the range wouldn’t be an emergency. Pack up, go home and order more 9mm.

5 Likes

Why not post the whole quote. Free country, you do what you want with your guns and I will do the same with mine. :+1:

Hmm, they forgot to mention .38 Superb… :grinning:

Good article. .38 Superb is a ‘blast’ to shoot, and often my EDC.

1 Like

I’d say no. Speaking to the group. Do your homework. If you never heard of it, or never heard of it being safe, then there is a reason for that.

There are options. Instead, find and purchase the correct caliber ammo, or buy a gun made for the ammo you have. Or, buy another completely different firearm for which you think there is more ample and or lower cost ammo available. Not sure how it is by you, but I am seeing a lot of 9mm and .22LR ammo near my neck-o-the-woods.

Consequences of using the wrong ammo in any firearm: Damage or destroy the handgun, damage your body or someone else’s. Just my $00.02.

Welcome dear Rico. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Did nobody notice that the Taurus M85 is a REVOLVER? The 38 Super is a rebated rim cartridge for use in semi-auto pistols with an EXTRACTOR. Revolvers have EJECTORS. If you could load the 38 Super into the cylinder and get it to fire and the gun stayed in one piece you would have to manually remove it.

That’s the obvious part, the not so obvious part is the pressures for each cartridge. 38 Specials are around 17,000 psi while the 38 Super is around 35,000 psi… Not exactly something I would like to have in my hands when it went off.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

If I am not mistaken, 38 Super head spaces off the mouth of the brass, so it is wider than 38 Special ammo where the bullet and case meet. Might be able to force it into my 38 Special, but not very easy.

2 Likes

Ummmm. Duuuhhh, that’s the obvious part, That is what the article was for :grinning:.

1 Like

They fit perfectly fine in my Taurus they are just really short and holy fukk , yea 35,000 psi would probably blow it up

1 Like

Huh. .38 Superb do not fit in my .38 Special. Well, I could force them, but… And much more of a crimp on the Special, but not a big deal. Now, if you have .38 Superb ammo, you just have to go out and buy a .38 Superb gun… :grinning:

4 Likes

That statement is gonna get me into trouble;) My father-in-law inherited an old 38 special revolver from his father. We took it to the range when he came to visit and pulled out an ancient looking box of .38 super he also inherited. He was about to try loading it when I noticed it was the wrong caliber. Potential disaster avoided, he left the .38 super box with me.

So now I guess I need to get a .38 super?:wink: Though I’m still waiting to get my hands on my new (to me) .45. And have always thought a 10mm might come in handy some day. So many calibers so little time and money;)

2 Likes

Come to the dark side… It is Superb. :grinning: If I was to start out in 38 Super, I would look into the 38 super auto comp? The one that is rimmed more like .45 and 9mm. I have heard it is not too hard to convert, but all my reloading stuff is for the regular Super. In reality, the only difficulty I have come across is unloading loaded mags by hand.

Patiently waiting for my full sized 1911 in 38 Superb to get in line at my 'smith’s shop.

2 Likes

At the peak of Ammogedden I had a friend ask me to pick up a couple boxes of .38 Super. So I did.
Went to drop them off only to find out he’d seen some you tube “expert” claiming it could be shot through a 9mm chambered firearm without issue.
Needless to say, I went over all this with him & refused to leave the ammo there. So I also have unusable (to me) .38 +p super ammo.

4 Likes