Can I keep my CC if I've been evaluated by a psychiatic doctor

We all heard about the mass shooting in MAINE. For some reason news media always paint a veteran as a threatening factor in these cases. And no, I was never been adjudicated as mentally ill.

8 Likes

Thank you Don102, that’s sound advice yet it could get a person in trouble if ever involved in a incident with a gun. I’m better than okay and solid, thanks for asking. I appreciate that.

One other reason I ask that question is, we have to know the laws of the state we live in. Many of our brother and sister veterans don’t.

Thank you for your SERVICE Don102

OORAH!

4 Likes

Thank you BeanCounter,

To my understanding and research, I’m good because I was need forced to go, or labeled as crazy by a doctor or judge. It was just a conern given what happened in MAINE.

3 Likes

No one can say for sure as the classification is arbitrary and driven by the subjective determinations of your psychiatrists. I would not ask the question.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @John1365 and we are happy to have you here.

2 Likes

You should take a look at this thread. Seems that the VA will strip you of your right to possess firearms if you appoint someone to handle your affairs.

Kennedy amendment - Legal & Second Amendment - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

3 Likes

Yes, that is partly true and partly not true. The key words concerning any situation like this or remotely close are (involuntary & forced) by a judge or doctor.

Because there are hundreds of mental health issue and diagnosis. It’s so very common for people to put everything into one category. Which is the big problem.

Also, I am not going to ask the question because of that underlined fact and how it is used against law abiding gun owners and veterans.

Thank you Mark697, I appreciate you taking out the time to reply.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true and something I will never do.

2 Likes

Then you have little to worry about, that is what we are trying to say.

4 Likes

.tc
ojty

1 Like

.tc
ojty

O.K.??? May want to try that again. :thinking:

4 Likes

Was that a butt text?

3 Likes

We were mentally for Going!
Don’t sweat the small stuff Brother
We are on the right side of the grass, enjoy the sunshine.

adonde nosotros vamos uno nosotros ir todo!!!
Nessun passo sul serpente

WHAT?

No, Never, But sometimes I .DC (on the rocks)
w.Waffles… Hope that helps

Welcome Robert1192 (No worries, don’t mind me I’m nutz)

1 Like

@John1365

Appreciate your service!

I spoke with a Vet who had been diagnosed with PTSD and subsequently a Judge removed his right to possess firearms. This was a big deal because the fellow had been an avid hunter.
I think his case was complicated by his having engaged in some actions that led him to be charged with a an offense and go to trial. The judge subsequently vacated his right to possess firearms.

I’ve also spoken with several Vets with PTSD who legally carry concealed.

Since Mental Health records are generally protected by HIPAA, there is no reason your evaluation would be a matter of concern to your state, unless you were court ordered for evaluation or a judge committed you to a mental treatment facility against your will.

If you had been deemed a danger to others, your Mental Health evaluator may have had a duty to warn per the Tarasoff and Jablonski court rulings and the state would likely be aware of that concern. I think you would be aware of that by now, so I’m presuming that was not the case.

Bottom line: with out knowing your specifics, I’d guess that you are good to go.

4 Likes

Okay, what does this mean?
WWG1WGA

2 Likes

Where we go one we go all,what does it mean to you?

2 Likes

No clue I am horrible with acronyms.

3 Likes

The toilet. :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like