Calling on all botanist's

Can anyone help me identify this plant. We have lots and lots of birds in our yard so we are used to having things sprout that we didn’t plant but this one has me stumped???

The plant is about 8 feet tall.

It is loaded with flower heads.

A closeup of the flowers or blooms.

A close up of the leaves, they are as big as 3 hands.

A closeup of the stem, at the ground it’s about 2 inch’s through.

1 Like

I may be mistaken, but looks like Cyclachaena xanthifolia (Rag Sumpweed).

I’ve got similar at my backyard. I hate this weed, but I keep them because these fill up gaps between bushes and trees.

4 Likes

Yes, that seems to be it. Thank you sir. :clap:

2 Likes

Google told me it was acacia…bad Google, try again.
https://www.google.com/search?q&tbm=isch&ictx=1&tbs=rimg:CQzAj-h7eeuKIggMwI_1oe3nriioSCQzAj-h7eeuKESiWbpr3oKeu&cs=0&hl=en-US&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn3pO86tb5AhWIjuAKHXjIDQ4QiRx6BAgAEAQ&biw=360&bih=504

There’s an app for that. Snap a pic and it identifies the plant.

2 Likes

Bodysnatcher, burn it to the ground!:rofl:

4 Likes

I will be tomorrow, I don’t want it to breed. :fire:

4 Likes

Uh-oh…

2 Likes

Yup, burn pile tomorrow. :fire:

5 Likes

Go green and just cut and chop it.

Open fire generates between 50 and 60 grams of CO2 for every hour of use.
Burning this weed is going to change the climate… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

71 days till November! Burning firewood is going to cause joy! How much co2 does this represent???

6 Likes

There have been fires on earth for 4.5 Billion years. :rofl:

6 Likes

I knew it… I was just waiting for it… :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue: :joy:

Here is the answer… :wink:

3 Likes

Likely a small fraction of the CO2 produced when generating the electricity required to charge your electric vehicle.

8 Likes

“Photosynthesis”. Plants absorb light energy. With this, they convert CO2, water, and minerals into oxygen and energy-rich organic nutrients. Not only is this a vital process for the plants themselves, but it is also the foundation for life on earth. Green plants are the base of food webs and all higher forms rely on them for food, oxygen, or both. If you want to affect climate change, PLANT MORE TREES AND PLANTS. Green plants of any kind LOVE CO2. My opinion: there are more green house gasses produced in Washington, DC than by American oil and gas producers. How about this to combat “climate change”: ALL federal buildings NOT powered by 100% green energy should be immediately disconnected from any grid powered by oil, gas or coal. The powers that be could promote this as “Leading from the front.” By the way, China is building 55 coal fired power plants as we speak. They have also contracted with Russia to buy 100 million metric tons of coal. Pretty sure China isn’t too concerned with “climate change”.

7 Likes

Less than this😉

6 Likes

Just saw a news story (with video) of a guy in China that bought an E-vehicle. 3 days later, it burst into flame. Total loss. No word on if “burst into flame” is covered by the warranty.

4 Likes

I don’t know anything about this particular plant but have read accounts of people having lung issues after breathing in the smoke from burning other toxic plants. Make sure you are upwind and maybe put one of those old Corona virus masks to good use to be on the safe side.

5 Likes

If masks work, why aren’t masks working?

4 Likes

Same reason bolting on a set of slicks doesn’t make a race car. It’s only one component of the whole apparatus.
Look at firefighters. People who do asbestos removal. It’s ignorant to think a mask is a solution. It’s just one component…

4 Likes