Buying a Pistol

I bought a 40 cal. S&W Pistol from a friend, I didn’t have a permit but he sold guns 2 years ago and then sold his business, My question is did I do anything wrong ?

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

2 Likes

If you live in an open carry state you don’t need a permit. Did you go through an FFL and get a record check done. Are you legally able to own a firearm. You don’t have any felonies that would disqualify you in owning a firearm?

5 Likes

What state are you in?

4 Likes

@Allen43.
Welcome to the community.
COBRA01
Train Hard and Stay Safe

2 Likes

How old are you, are you legally able to own said handgun? What state are you in?
I’m gonna go on the assumption that if you have to ask the question, there already may be a problem!
You’re questioning also implies, you’re too late? You already have possession!
So for us to give quality answers, we need some…

3 Likes

As long as you are legally able to possess a firearm under both state and federal law and followed any applicable laws during the sale of the firearm, you did nothing wrong.
It is impossible to answer your question with the information you provided. However, if you question the purchase, I would recommend you consult with an attorney confidentially. Do not make any type of admission on a public forum that could be used against you in court.

8 Likes

If he is not in business now, and you purchased it in a private sale, and your state does not require ‘universal (unconstitutional) background checks’, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Yes on the open carry, but not all states have the unconstitutional universal background check, so it might not be an issue if it was a private transaction.

Although, with so many states pushing universal, it is something to consider.

3 Likes

Yes I do agree @Kevin29 maybe he’s not required a record check. Has he posted anything since his last post to clarify things?

2 Likes

I have no bad history and I did get my Permit to carry a concealed weapons Permit. The guy I bought it from did own a gun shop 2 years ago

2 Likes

It’s still not enough information to determine whether you were wrong or right. Still don’t know what state you lived in. Some states may allow person to person sell of a firearm without an FFL. So at the time you didn’t have an CCW PERMIT. But you do have it now. What do you know about the person you purchased it from but that he owned a gun shop.

2 Likes

Welcome @Allen43!

Some states require a permit or license before being able to purchase a firearm. You should look up the requirements for your state.

Did your friend sell you the firearm as part of a gun shop transaction? You should be OK whether or not he is still in business. If he sold it to you as a friend in a person-to-person transaction, you will need to check your local laws for the legality of the sale.

3 Likes

Since your friend owned a gun shop up until 2 years ago, I would not think it is stepping too far out on a limb to believe he or she knows the firearm transfer laws for your state. It is probably worth revisiting it with him or her.

3 Likes

Iowa,

2 Likes

If you are not a “Prohibited Person” and Iowa does not have “Universal Background Check” requirements you are golden. You said you have your CCW so the first question is moot unless something changed. You purchased from a private individual (regardless of his history) in good faith (I am A$$uMEing) so there are no issues. That the handgun in question fell off the 4473 tracking list is not your problem. Depending on when your friend acquired it he may be the last one to do paper or it, or the fact that it could be 30 people prior is no concern to you.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, @Allen43!
I’m not a lawyer, so I’d check with one, but I suspect not. The laws for selling handguns between individuals are usually a lot looser than from a firearms dealer to a customer. Still, I’d check with a lawyer. Still got the receipt? Might be a good thing to hang on to.

2 Likes

Welcome. You didn’t do anything wrong as long as. Like in Missouri where I live we can sell person to person cause that is allowed by the laws in my state. As long as that’s the same in your state you absolutely fine

2 Likes

Welcome!! In Texas, as long as you can legally own a firearm, you may buy or sell without a paper trail. as a rule, I provide a hand written reciept with both parties signatures just to CYA

2 Likes

Welcome Allen! As for your question, I don’t really understand. What do you think you did wrong?

Typically, when you buy a pistol, you’ll get a background check to verify you’re allowed to purchase. This is typically the case if you buy from a gun show or gun dealer. If you didn’t do that, well…then it depends on your state as to whether that’s ok or not. Some states allow private sales without performing background checks as I recall…I only know that my state doesn’t so all private sales MUST get a background check.

As for anything else you did wrong…I can’t say that I’m sure what you think you did.

On a personal level though, I’m not really a fan of .40’s but that’s just my personal opinion. A couple of my friends love their .40s.

2 Likes