Bow knowledge

Ok, here is the deal. I found and old fiberglass bow in a barn. Can you tell me what it is and if it’s worth anything. It’s got a red or orange color to it. It’s about 48 inches long, but that’s a straight measure from end to end.

3 Likes

I think sitting bull use to use it, I’m not an expert on bows, so I guess I’m no help.

9 Likes

Just an old Fiberglass Bow from the 70s. I see them at the Flea Market for $5.00 to $30.00 their worth about $5.00. Be careful pulling it back old fiberglass can shatter. :+1:

10 Likes

I will admit this though. I couldn’t hit a barn with a bow if I was standing in the loft.

2 Likes

Best & safest thing is not to use it. Too many things could go wrong. Use it as a wall hanger in the barn.
Stay safe….

I just bought a fairly fancy used compound bow for my son for his birthday. Bows have come a long way (and gotten a lot more expensive) since the last time I shot one when I was in high school.

Look for markings on it - make, model, and draw weight (Ex.: 30# @ 28") - these were sold separately, or in kits for kids and beginners. Unstring it to stay safe. There ARE people who collect old archery gear - some Bear, Ben Pearson, etc. manufactured bows are valuable. Some handcrafted bows - like Jack Howard’s “Game Master” and “Game Master Jet” - can be worth serious $$, Even old arrows and broadheads. FYI

Been playing around with horse bows recently… the Katra thing is kinda strange…

you can shoot from the outside of the bow… (right side if your right handed)

there is no cut out like on many western bows both side of the bow are the same…

think you need to do something similar when using the inside or left side of the bow with no cutout?

but ya gotta sorta flip the bow to the left as you release the arrow???

Ishi used the “Mongolian release” - he hooked his thumb under the arrow, bracing it with his index finger - no description of what he did with his other three was given - and shot from the right side of the bow. Pope claims that upon release, the bow would rotate in his hand to the left, eliminating the need for an armguard or “bracer”. Asiatics shot the same, using a thumb ring. Of course, the “archer’s paradox” still applies to arrow spine. FYI

1 Like

I went new school when I fixed up my old compound bow a couple weeks ago. Cheap fiber optic front sight and peep rear with a whisker biscuit arrow rest and a trigger release. Takes a lot longer to reload but makes the sighting and shooting process a lot more like shooting a rifle which I find much easier. Though some day I would like to get a recurve and practice some instinctive shooting.

1 Like

Get yourself a well-made longbow or flatbow - they’re much more solid, stable, and accurate - I started out with a 60",40# Bear “Hunter” recurve 50 years ago, and later switched to a 66", 50# Howard Hill “Big Five” with an all-bamboo core, and never looked back. There are a ton of makers out there - they can offer you 2- and 3-piece takedowns, too - look art the “Fire Drake” longbow from Wright Archery in Canada, and the “Shrew” longbow designed by Ron La Clair - I think Martin still makes a decent longbow for the $$.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those!

P.S. - In addition to online shopping, a copy of Primitive Archer or Traditional Bowhunter should have ads you can follow - 3 Rivers Archery is a major online source. FYI

1 Like

@Shamrock >> get you and your Son to a good archery shop. The biggest reason is ( Safety ).

• RULE # 1 = Never Ever Dry Fire Any Bow.
3 Likes

I couldn’t hit your house with a bow if I was standing in your living room. I have tried, I have practiced and even got fitted for a bow. I just can’t use one.

2 Likes

You don’t know bow?

2 Likes

Sho don’t. wish I did!

1 Like

Yeah, me too.

1 Like

Have you tried a bow with one of those fiber optic front sights, peep rear sights and an arrow rest? I was never all that good as a kid with a recurve bow without sights. But I recently added sights to an old compound bow and also got a trigger release. It made a night and day difference for me. Very similar to shooting a rifle with a peep sight.

3 Likes