Birdshot for home defense?

@Kenneth94 I read an article and posted it, where several shooting survivors were interviewed, Virginia Tech and other mass shootings. It described the health problems and the lifetime medication’s these people were on for lead poisoning.

1 Like

Question about this or the legal aspect. Asking for those with this type of knowledge. Would it be viable to use birdshot load reconfigured as a cut shell for home defense? That way the load and the shell itself essentially becomes a slug. Cut shells are to be loaded once and not to be used in a pump action or semi automatic capacity.

1 Like

i read that Andrew jackson died from a lead ball that wasnt removed after a duel some time after he was shot. lead is very toxic.

1 Like

2 Likes

The meat target never lies.

1 Like

Birdshot isn’t ideal for home defense but if that’s what you have loaded in your shotgun I wouldn’t go with anything under #4.

2 Likes

#4 will get it done wouldn’t go any smaller load

3 Likes

We need some clarification here.
There are two very different "#4"s
#4 buck and #4 shot.
#4 buck is definitely a manstopper, having been standard issue for many agencies including the LAPD.
#4 bird shot is a hunting load, generally for larger birds.

Bird shot is excellent for throat shots… can’t be sewn up.

Send it.

I took a Defensive Shotgun class from a USCCA instructor and former cop here in Vegas. Many of us had the same question about birdshot. He answered with a question. Do you have loved ones in your house you want to protect? We all said, “yes.” He said, don’t use birdshot, #4 or 00 buckshot for home defense if a shotgun is your choice.

1 Like

#1 buck in this home.

Paul Harrell did tests with birdshot and the results are interesting. (Link to video below - but there are others on steel shot and turkey magnums as well). Remember that at the close ranges typical in a home shooting the pattern is quite small. Chances of over penetration are much lower as well.

But I use buckshot (Anguilla mini shells) in my home defense gun. My wife can handle the recoil if she needs to use it and they get the job done. Also allows for increased capacity.

2 Likes

Buck shot of any size. I suggest putting a laser red dot. this will help with sight picture. A tactial light may blind you. Also practice firing from the hip with the red dot.
Bill

Depends on who is trying to snatch your kids, I guess.

1 Like

Sounds like that instructor was generalizing quite a bit. We carried #4 buck in patrol in L.A. because we were in urban areas. As to #4 bucks manstopping capabilities? I know of two armed robbers who would give it two thumbs up if they could-but they can’t.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I follow. He said to use buckshot, #4 or 00. I had another instructor say #4 buck for home, so it seems like a solid choice.

In your post with the Vegas instructor he said not to use #4 or 00 buck.

Turkeys are birds, turkey loads will take your shoulder off.

So when you leave your house to do some thing where do you put the shotgun. Do you stick it under the bed in a closet or do you have to open up your gun safe to put it away or do you take it with you ? This is not about whether it will do the job but the practicality of using a shot gun for home defense weapon. Further more, did you ever try shooting a shotgun from a prone position I.E. WHILE IN BED. >> Also not all home invasions happen at night. So Do you carry your 12 gauge shotgun with you every time you move around in your house ? How would that work for your wife doing house work running all over the house like a fart in a skillet. You better stink about it for a while.
PS: where did I have that shotgun last.
:us::us::us: