Bipod advice: springs or

Hello folks, looking at getting a bipod and notice there are 2 types (so far)…the exposed spring type and the click and pull the leg down into a locking position type.
Any preferences from your experiences? Kinda leary about the exposed spring types because of maybe not being able to replace the spring and I’m kinda partial to the minimalist less parts of a push the button, extend the leg downward until it clicks bipod.
Any advice will be appreciated :pray: Bruno

Atlas bipods are top of the line. Harris used to be made in the USA but I don’t think they are any longer. Then there’s the Harris clones. Caldwell etc.

3 Likes

What are you putting it on?

2 Likes

40 cal carbine

So you want to put a metal bipod on a short, light carbine to make it heavier and a little off balance?
Would you consider a simple removable bipod? I use these to shoot my AK and 30.30 at 300 yds. I have used these for years and they work quite well. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m not nearly as experienced as many folks here, but I had the same questions/ concerns snd went with the Magpul MLok bipod. So far, it’s been reliable and easy to use.

4 Likes

Just put in your back pocket, simple is usually better

2 Likes

I settled for the Grip Pod for its dual personality

4 Likes

I avoid Caldwell…I’ve never had anything but bad luck with their exposed spring bipods (cheap construction from what I’ve experienced).
I’ve had no issues Magpul bipods.
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/other/bipods.html

4 Likes

I have had 2 “click and drop” bipods for about 6 years now. Cheap, but they do what they’re designed to do. One on a .308 RPR, too heavy to realistically shoot offhand, the other on a 5.56 MVP patrol, and light enough to not affect offhand shooting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response and advice :+1:

2 Likes

Skip the Bi-Pod.

Grab an ammo can and a rear bag to put under the fore stock. Snuggle down and zero it.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I dont use any springs on my bipods,you depress the lever add fold down no noise at all getting in place,I have the short ones for my 16" AR 16 and my 20" AR 15,the same on mt AR 45 and AR 9mm and On my 2 Long range I have 2ft bipods so I can use them in a hide and be steady sitting down, they are my M-14 and my L-10

4 Likes