Biometric fingerprint ID

Soo… I used to work for a company where we designed and made fingerprint scanners for security access and for law enforcement (scanning fingerprint cards and crime scene latent prints). We had our own fingerprint scanners on all our access doors outside, and on secure areas inside. Here’s my experience:

some people have fingerprints that scanners like, some don’t. I don’t. In order to make the scanners work for my fingers we had to set the matching threshold so low my dog could have accessed the building with a paw print if he knew my ID code. So… scanners NOT a good idea for every person.

change of skin conditions change how the scanner works - if your hands are usually dry and that’s how you set up the scanner, but they’re wet on a given day (say it rains, or you did dishes, or they’re sweating because a bad guy is kicking down your kitchen door) the scan may not match what was programmed.

they are germ magnets. might not apply with your gun safe, but in our setting if ANYbody had a cold or flu, within a week EVERYbody had it. because you are all touching exactly the same square inch of surface… one that many people had touched after LICKING THEIR FINGER to get the scanner to register their print.

so… no biometric for me, thank you.

2 Likes