Big Brother is watching

Exclusive: Feds Demand Apple And Google Hand Over Names Of 10,000+ Users Of A Gun Scope App

3 Likes

Why am I not surprised.

4 Likes

Scary stuff. We are drifting further and further left

1 Like

… back in the “good old days,” the usual suspects would have placed a spear fishing module in the program, we’d never of heard about it, the bad people would have their feeds tapped, and hellfire would rain from the sky… (or was that just a book I read? I can’t remember…)

2 Likes

is anyone really surprised? they’re using state driver’s license databases for facial recognition searches, and there have been broad fishing trip requests before.

I should be shocked, but I’m not… I’m just cynical. Going to go add some more foil to my tin hat and uninstall some apps. Not that one (because I’m too cynical about how it would be used anyway to have ever installed something like it) but maybe I don’t really need a smart phone… :face_with_monocle::unamused:

5 Likes

I actually looked up the app and looked at the optics in question. ATN has IMHO always been a 4th rate scope company better suited to airsoft and paintball than real firearms (but that’s another topic). Back in the “0” years Swarovski and Heindshult (sp) were looking into building scopes that would record your shots via sim cards/data cables and the like, the tech wasn’t there to transmit it to an app or phone also there was no way to project an image to a screen in a standard optic (it’s glass through and through) so they digitally represented what you were seeing from the front of the scope to the back of the scope. You physically could not look through the scope. It didn’t work for the folks they wanted to market to HOWEVER it did open the concept of “virtual shooting”. You could essentially 10,000 miles away watching a rifle pointed at a specific place and given the right bit’s of kit to interact with the trigger “Shoot” a rifle via video/live stream etc.

Anyone who has seen the movie “Shooter” (which is roughly based on Stephen Hunter’s book of the same name) will be going “If I can see the cross hairs and then engage servo’s to manipulate the rifle…” you get the picture.

Essentially set up a tripod with a weapon system inside it with the appropriate mechanical’s and electronic interface and you can take a shot from anywhere you phone connects.

That’s why they are upset about the ITAR violations. Of course ATN’s scopes are 99% mfg’d in China along with the technology soooooo… There you have it.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Nothing surprises me at this point. Apple is likely to fight it. I’m not so sure about Google.

2 Likes

Once again I feel the need to say big brother does what we allow him to do! The basis of communism is laid by making the People forget THEY are the BY and FOR!

1 Like

I agree.
However knowing that is the boobie prize. What is in your strategy for fixing that? I’m not seeing how the 2-of-us “we” or the USCCA “we”, or any other non-majority voting block “we” makes that stop. What do you propose?

3 Likes

I can’t answer that, Zee, without truly knowing how many of the 80 mil. legal gun owners TRULY mean Come And Take Them! They would be the ones most likely to vote out politicians who are stomping on the Constitution.

1 Like

That still leaves you at “no plan” and “do nothing”. I’m challenging you on this @George16, because I hear your frustration but your assessment of the problem is leaving you immobilized.

I don’t think you mean for us to do nothing. I don’t think you mean for us to organize an armed rebellion and start offing politicians either. There are other strategies though. In between those two points there’s a lot of territory. So what action are you willing to take today that can help hold the line or push it back?

It seems pointless sometimes, when the opposition is “them” and they are numerous and powerful. It seems a group action is required. But “group action” does not exist… even in a group action, every act is performed by a single individual. Someone had to start. Someone had to engage and encourage others.

The question isnt so much what that group of 80 million is willing to do, but what you’re willing to do… because that’s where your power is.

So what are you willing to do, today?

I dont know what your capabilities or skills are… but heres a list of things you could start with. I challenge you to not just shoot down everything in this list, but to use it to start figuring out what action you can take today.

You can contact elected officials, contact or boycott companies and inform them why, encourage others to do the same. Donate to legal orgs who work on our behalf, volunteer for a 2A politicians campaign, put a sign in your yard, talk to your friends and encourage their activity or influence their thinking, take an anti-gunner to the range. Contact a reporter at your local or regional paper and persuade them to do an article on the privacy invasion, provide them with a jumpstart of your own research.

We know what results immobility will bring, the only hope of a different outcome is action. What action are you going to take today?

3 Likes

Zee, stop! Just stop! You are trying to force me to like you more than I had planned and I am not comfortable with that!LOL. Now in all seriousness, I am also a member of the NRA and GOA. I contact every politician they request. In fact I already do most of the things on your list.
I am constantly pointing out to people that if they truly want change than don’t vote for career politicians. I point out to every owner I know how important this fight is. However, I live in a very diverse area and a good portion of the owners come from lower income families. Getting them to vote other than Democrat just won’t happen. And there are some that are worse than that. I know owners that don’t vote at all . I can beat the drum all day for the cause but many do not hear it.
I will say this, I have never volunteered or put signs in my yard. Perhaps those are the next steps.
For the record, offing politicians was not in the plans. The spots would just get filled with their vices.

3 Likes

It’s not "Big Brother I worry about. It’s big Google/Alphabet/Facebook/ISP’s et al. They are in the position to dictate to the nation (possibly the world) what is to be seen and believed and to shift or redirect any contrary thought or evidence. They are not elected and quite frankly have very few rules and minimal repercussions for breaking what rules there are.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

:laughing: welcome to Zee’s World… glad you’re here :laughing:
Sometimes we get fixated on what we can’t do and where we’re powerless… changing how we see things can get the wheels rolling again.

There are folks who are not going to budge, no point wasting your time on the… the ones who could move… the non voters for instance… maybe theres hope there. That’s what I look for, those I can make a difference with. And then I try to tune up my skills and approaches to become more effective with those folks.

I also speak up when I dont like what’s happening. My voice might be the only one. Or it might be the one that pushes the count into that next order of magnitude.

Glad you’re here @George16. Let’s Do This Thing.

3 Likes

I’ve given up worrying. it never seems to change much.
What are your thoughts on what we can do?

1 Like

A big fat EMP over Google’s server farm would be fun to watch. That said give due diligence to the sources you read and then only believe half of it.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

@Craig6, no EMP in my pocket, fat or otherwise. Any other ideas on how to address Google?

Boycott and spread the word. Due your searching elsewhere. Less users means less ad dollars. Dollars, the way to every wealthy man’s heart and common sense.

2 Likes

@John169 I’m copying part of your post over here to this thread as I think they’re the same issue @dawn, do you want to merge?)

Heres the link

Forbes

Exclusive: Feds Demand Apple And Google Hand Over Names Of 10,000+ Users Of A…

1 Like