Best way to carry at home with baby

I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions for carrying comfortably/ safely at home. I will be spending a lot of time at home alone caring for my baby boy. I don’t usually carry at home. But I’m usually at home with my wife, and we both could get a loaded gun quickly if necessar. Since I will be home alone with the baby, I would like to carry a gun. If something were to happen, I would have a baby in my arms which will limit my options and ability to get to my firearm quickly. I can’t wrestle with a baby in my arms. I can’t drop the baby on the floor and run into the other room for a weapon. I won’t drop the baby and fight… I’m considering using my belly band, but I wanted to just throw this out their for ideas. I do want to stay in sweats and gym shorts when staying in my home.

I always carry when I leave the house, but I am not the type to feel like I need to carry at home. But my fatherly instincts are telling me to carry at home when I’m by myself.

2 Likes

Baggy pants/jeans pocket carry if you have a pocket pistol.

3 Likes

A snub nose revolver is my future gun list, but I don’t have one now. Smallest gun is my shield 9, but it’s a stretch to pocket carry

2 Likes

Yes sir I agree

1 Like

Work on your one handed shooting. With a baby in one arm, and a gun in the other. A bag of dog food will serve as an analogue baby if you want to practice with live ammo. I would also work on one handed reloads, and racking the pistol.

7 Likes

Lol man I commend you on that answer brother.

2 Likes

:+1: I can get it done with my dominant hand. I need to work on my non-dominant hand though. Reloads is a good point, I’ve practiced that before, but not with and object in my other arm.

1 Like

When I had the boys I carried the same as I do now, OWB. I tried to keep with the carry them on the left side, even in a car seat. I always carried at home, and I still do. We both do. The boys don’t think anything of it as it has always been this way.

Not sure on a carry method that will work with sweats and gym shorts.

2 Likes

I’m loving my Springfield 911 … I throw it in my pocket, sometimes without a holster (safety ON), to go out back to smoke. I hope I never need it, but my neighbor is absolutely nuts, immature, and probably 1.6x my age… I no longer like to go outside without SOMETHING to protect myself (although usually I’m closer to the door than anyone can get, but if I walk around the corner myself…)

edited: rowhomes…

3 Likes

@Scoutbob
check this site out for dimension comparisons (and other comparisons)

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/smith-wesson-m-p-9-shield-vs-springfield-911-9mm

1 Like

That guns really cool.

2 Likes

Hearing protection for the baby, and you. Maybe one of those carry harnesses that straps baby to your chest snugly

2 Likes

I can’t understand why you would want to carry a child with you, if the child is that small and you have fear of someone breaking in, then practice putting the child down out of harm’s way before engageing anytype of defence. If you are that concerned about breakins have a security system put in. At the least, practice securing the child in a safe place, let’s face it you are not going to engage a stranger with your child in your arms. Break ins are not, normally quite, You will have time to secure the child, plan for it then practice until it is second nature.

Larry

1 Like

Im not going to drop my infant on the floor in the presence of an intruder and then run Into another room to get my gun. I’d have to run with the infant to my guns (which will be slower and potentially dangerous) put the baby down. Grab my guns. I won’t argue that those are viable options, but why not just have it on me if possible? If something were to happen I’d have a gun accessible with one in the pipe ready to engage the intruder.

I am not going to have an intruder. There’s a better chance of other aweful things happening. But, if I can safely carry a gun throughout the day what’s wrong with that?

1 Like

Not suggesting dropping the child. As far as carring the weapon on you, you must be safe and secure with the “holster” that you will use. The point I was trying to make and apparently failed at, was to secure the child first. The wepon placement is what ever is easy to retrive and comformable to carry.

Larry

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying. :+1: secure the boy in preparation for a potential fight at the initial signs of a problem. That is a good point.

I would not like to engage anyone while holding the child. I just like to be prepared. I’ll already be juggling the baby and the baby stuff, is something we’re to happen I’d be juggling the baby, getting the gun, getting the phone and dialing 911, and getting to the safest position in the house. I just like the comfort of the gun on me. I like to have simple plans, but if a plan doesn’t workout, I would at least like to be able to point and shoot If necessary. Statistically speaking, my car is out front, my dogs out back, I live in a good neighborhood, no ones breaking in. But in the off chance that’s going to happen I don’t want to assume I’m going to have a lot of time to react and prepare. I also feel more compromised at home with the current/ strange state of society and break ins are more likely to happen during the day. So I do feel a little more vulnerable. BUT like you said, putting the baby in a safe place and then setting myself up for a successful fight if necessary without the baby in hand and out of the potential line of fire, is a good point for sure. :+1:

1 Like

I realize this was sort of a silly topic. Obviously the best way to carry safely around the house would be to carry just like I always do. The setting and the baby don’t really make a difference.

3 Likes

I have a 45 shield that I pocket carry… well its a wallet holster I carry in pack pocket. Looks like a wallet and feels like one too.

3 Likes

I think it would still be worth considering while making a plan, … “what to do if actively holding baby” … I mean, maybe in a few years that will be relevant for me, so … if you think of anything :smiley:

2 Likes