Best tips for getting hunting permission on others land and success rate

Thanks in advance!
Should I take test samples of jerky :grin:

5 Likes

That, and maybe a pot of chili

4 Likes

I donā€™t know about yā€™all :rofl:

4 Likes

Show up in the spring or during fall harvest and ask if you can trade work for access. :+1:

10 Likes

Either do what @BRUCE26 said or possibly offer a portion of the spoils? If you get a buck, maybe offering them 1/4 of the meat or some type of trade. Why are you looking to hunt on private land? Are you avoiding drawing tags?

6 Likes

I have plenty of hunting spots, add all together almost 700 acres, my deal is a monster white tail near my house Iā€™ve seen twice ā€¦ heā€™s obviously been freebasing soybeans. Iā€™ve put out various attractions for him in front of a trail cam behind my house. Iā€™ll post pictures if he comes around.

6 Likes

We have a fenced in back yard, I would just lure him in. :wink:

5 Likes

Just found thisā€¦ such small average I could offer to double the rate?

4 Likes

:joy::grin::joy::crazy_face::joy::crazy_face:

4 Likes

Yup. that venison just keeps getting more expensive per pound. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

If you come nosing around my farm anywhere after August the answer is NO. Come see me about Jan / Feb and talk to me about your ethics, what you are willing to do to and for the property. My FIL has given ONE permission slip to a man and he neglected to tell me that.

I was hunting the West side and I hear a truck pull up so I go to take a peak. Old boy gets out of his truck and hot footā€™s it across the road field and here come 3 deer. He busts one. He getā€™s back in his tuck and drives away and then comes back about 5 min later to pick it up. Iā€™m in the wood line next to the road pretending to be a bush. I was cammied up and ghillied up from head to toe and looked very much like a bush with a rifle. The man doggone near sh!t a ring around himself when I came out of the trees. He started stammering that he had permission and the slip was in the truck if I wanted to see it. I just looked at him. He kept talking (to save his a$$) as I knelt down and picked up his fired case. In the end I met him and he did have permission but in the interceding weeks the rumor that there was a wild and crazy SOB roaming Mr. Kā€™s farm spread like wild fire. You know your famous when you go to the local truck stop diner and they are talking about YOU being 7ā€™ tall with a machine gun. There have been some wide eyed country boys that decided our fields were good for tearing up and have ended up axle deep in the mud because thier tires went flat. A Game Warden that lost his job for poaching out of season. A couple of poachers / trespassers that lost their rifles and hand guns and found themselves zip tied on the edge of the road. AND then there are the rumors!!! I like my farm with just a bit of danger associated with it. We havenā€™t had a break-in for more than 15 years, that is saying something.

Cheers,

Craig6

9 Likes

I can associate with being some kind of urban legendā€¦ Iā€™m bald and ugly and work out every day, my buddy next door (78 year old) has told me several times about people saying Iā€™m an ex con and such from all the other neighbors just because I approached someone in my yard with a shotgun in an unfriendly matter :grin:
I was not the one with a shotgun :grin:

5 Likes

I would start by asking around where the farmers hang out. Many of them, find deer to be a nuisance. The farmer I have permission to hunt on, said ā€œkillā€™em allā€. He is only allowing me to hunt his 1500ish(you read that right) acres. But, it helps that heā€™s known me and my family for 30+ years.

7 Likes

Offer to work in exchange for permission. Folks used to ask me all the time but no one would ever offer to help when I had my usual 300 bales of hay delivered that needed loading in to the hay mowā€¦

7 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

Boxwood :grin:

4 Likes

I donā€™t see a rack on any of these fellas!

6 Likes

Must genetically-modified ring-tailed deer, and babies, looking at the size of them, and probably not good-eating. :rofl:

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::grin::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Well, that is what I tell the city folk, they donā€™t know, and they just look at you trying to tell if you are serious or not. It is due to all the GMO bait feed, it has affected them. Just imagine what it is doing to us. I mean, look at your icon, you look like a dog. :rofl:

6 Likes