Being pulled over with your weapon on you

I live in Arizona. And our law says that you do not have to inform LEO’s that you’re armed. But I also know that most of them will ask. And then I’d say THEN YES BY ALL MEANS TELL THEM IF YOU ARE ARMED. It would save a lot of hassles.

4 Likes

That’s why I just handed it to the LEO. Since they already knew i had one and i hand my gun on me it’s easier. You must have your permit on you in Oregon if carrying concealled. It’s nice to here what everyone elses States and their feelings are on this issue.

3 Likes

Anyone have info to share regarding the law with respect to carrying a firearm arm in your vehicle. In California. Assuming the person (I) do not have a concealed license.
?

2 Likes

Of course we do, @Gregory1! :smiley:

You can see that and more details about California laws here:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/

3 Likes

Here in Virginia, we don’t have a duty to inform but I think the smarter move is always to inform as a good practice,

6 Likes

Agreed. Less stress on the LEO and ourselves.

5 Likes

In SC you have the duty to identify yourself as a CWP holder. It is always a good idea to identify since normally during a stop they run your tags. In SC and NC when your tag comes up it identifies you as a CWP holder. Agree will everyone that hands in sight makes for a less tense stop.

5 Likes

Agree. Same here in Oregon.

2 Likes

I love reading comments about the laws when you guys are being thorough and know your laws or want to confirm what you’re finding - it’s awesome!

:heart: Responsibly armed Americans

9 Likes

Yeah but my situation is a little different by being in a semi truck they never know who is driving since it’s a company truck and they can’t list the driver as maybe being a conceal carry holder, so I have to tell them when they climb on the side of the truck. I believe in no surprise so no worries as they know what to expect as soon as I let them know that I carry and where it’s at on my person.

4 Likes

Same here in CA. Separate license with firearms you are licensed to carry listed on the reverse side.

2 Likes

I agree with you.

1 Like

I have carried for ten years and live in Virginia where there is no duty to inform. I have never been stopped while armed but I think that informing the officer is your best option, considering the recent number of incidents of LEO’s being shot and killed durning traffic stops. If I were a police officer, I would want to know that I was dealing with a responsible armed citizen.

2 Likes

I live in MI as well and have been carrying over 12 years. I have been stopped and followed my instructors( an LEO) to the tee on keeping hands on the wheel and waiting for the officers direction after informing of a CPL. Recently being stopped in Ohio in my work truck I did the same even though I was not carrying
and the Trooper expressed his appreciation.

3 Likes

@Ken2 that’s what my MI instructor says as well… plus he pointed to the case law that says 40 seconds is too long to wait… immediately means immediately.
What part of Michigan are you in?
Welcome to the group!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, @Ken2. How did the MI LEO react to your informing him?

2 Likes

I think your instructors gave you very good info on a traffic stop. With all the guns pulled and crazy stops an officer deals with now days it’s the smartest way. Leo’s appreciate hands being insight as they approach the vehicle.

1 Like

Before they even get to my window my license and LTC will be visible, before he says anything I will inform him/her I have my LTC and that I’m carrying.

So far the most alarmed any of them have been said, “Well you keep yours holstered and I will too”.

Not a big deal here in Texas, just don’t ever surprise a cop with a gun, let them know before they could possibly see or suspect a gun that you are carrying and that your’e doing so lawfully and it immediately reduces tension for everyone along with the potential for the encounter to escalate unnecessarily.

2 Likes

Not that you did anything wrong, but I never carry my wallet in my pants when driving. My big truck has a cutout in the console where it rides and in my small truck it’s just stuck between the dash and windshield right in the left hand corner where it’s completely visible to the cop.

I advise my students to do something similar or to at least keep their LTC and DL in a small card carrier in their shirt pocket.

Personally I’ll have both out and visible before we even get stopped and out the window before they can get to it.

2 Likes

Do you put your hands outside the window even at night? Anything coming out of the window could be seen as a threatening gesture, thats why the USCCA recommends having your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight when an officer approaches your window.

Also, moving around to pull out your ID before an officer gets to your window is not advised. The officer doesn’t know what you’re doing, all he sees is movement and something in your hands as he approaches which is unnerving at best.

Here’s what Kevin Michalowski suggests:

And the one thing this case reminds us is that whenever you are pulled over, have your hands EMPTY and on the wheel, and keep them there, especially once you have notified the officer that you are armed. DON’T MOVE. Don’t reach for your I.D. Sudden moves have always made cops jumpy ­— today, it’s even worse.
I teach my students to memorize a short script and to practice it, over and over, so that when they are stopped, they will not nervously babble. Basically, it goes like this:
Window halfway down. Hands on the steering wheel. Do NOT fumble for your license and carry credentials; it looks suspicious to an approaching officer, and you want NOTHING in your hands when he or she walks up to the window.
Smile. Greet him or her: “Officer, how can I help you?” Follow this immediately with, “Officer, I am LEGALLY carrying today. How do you want to handle that?” DO NOT MOVE until the officer tells you exactly what he or she wants — and then do so very SLOWLY.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/be-careful-out-there/

3 Likes