Before you.put on.Your EDC.DO..Check.IT.❓

Every time, just like checking lights, fluids, tires on the vehicle!

3 Likes

I check the condition of my gun every time I touch it, even if I KNOW it’s unloaded!!

Treat every gun as if it’s loaded until you personally can verify it is unloaded!!

5 Likes

I prefer a period after “loaded” in the second sentence. Just saying.

5 Likes

I usually just leave my EDC chambered. It has a little slit so you can see a round in the chamber. I will unload and clear when cleaning the pistol and when doing dry fire training. In these instances, I check the round for any evidence of bullet setback.

I will occasionally rotate some other round in the chamber from that mag. This way it is not the same round all the time sitting in the chamber.

Here is something I learned many years ago. I fired one of my carry hollow points and the round took about a half-second to actually fire. I determined that I was leaving a film of gun oil in the chamber. Since this one round had been in there a while, I think the oil somehow contaminated the primer or the powder.

So, be careful not to leave a film of oil in the chamber. This can also cause dangerous overpressure conditions to exist because the brass cannot expand, or so I read somewhere. I also decided to try and keep sealed primer rounds for EDC. Federal HST rounds are terrific and have sealed primers.

4 Likes

I press check every single firearm I pick up. Whether I took it off 2 days ago or 20 minutes ago. always know the condition of your weapon, and the only way to do that is to check it. complacency is the enemy of preparedness.

4 Likes

Yeah, that would have been HOT!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Exactly right. Loaded is loaded, I have no poltergeists in my home. The only time I verify is after dry-fire, range time, and cleaning, to ensure a round is chambered. After that, the handgun is holstered and not chamber-checked until after one of the afore-mentioned activities occurs.

4 Likes

I’m exactly the same with my semiauto EDC. I know no one but I has touched it, and I know exactly where it’s been at all times, so I know its condition. Plus, it does have a loaded chamber indicator. Now, If I’ve been doing anything that could have gotten it dirty, like working outdoors, I’ll clear it and probably even field strip just to be sure no sand or dirt got in. For any guns that have been stored more than just overnight, I do a press check at minimum as soon as I pick them up.

As for my pocket revolver, usually while I’m having coffee, I’ll pull it out of my pocket holster, open the cylinder, and check for lint or any debris that might have gotten into the cylinder or trigger areas from the day before.

I’m not a big fan of chambering and rechambering ammo, and I believe it does increase the chance of an AD, so why do it unless I’m dry fire training or switching to range ammo?

4 Likes

Dave17, GOOD HABITS ARE !! Know. But!!! Verify.!! VERIFY :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang::100::100::100::bangbang: AND I DO NOT CARE WHO . Views. WHAT I PRACTICE, FOR MY SAFETY… PERSONALLY :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang: THAT IS STRANGE.:bangbang: JUST LIKE I DO NOT CARE IF YOU WEAR . CONDOM.:bangbang::feather::feather::owl::chile::us:HAVE A ROOT BEER :beer: WTF.:bangbang:

2 Likes

Thanks .RANGEMATT. I HAVE BEEN SHOT . More than once . AND NOW I CHECK MY WEAPONS. . AND IF . NO ONE WANTS TO CHECK THEIRS . Great . Love Bobby jean. And I count my ROUNDS. That’s just how I was trained. Have a Root beer .:beer: Brother :bangbang::owl::feather::feather::chile::us::bangbang::100::100::100::skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Joseph 488. I COUNT MY ROUNDS. And I chamber a new round every day I put on my edc,”s. and I leave the rounds I chambered in a . BOWL. I have a then when I get enough I fire them in my weapons I don’t carry . This should not hurt outher. Members . ?? But I guess having a range in my home . Does as well. My bad. Haw Haw . !! Have a Root Beer. :beer: Brother I had to put a range in my home I was about to not have the back wall of my home. Because I was tired of not being able to get to the RANGE. So it came to ME :bangbang::chile::us::feather::feather::100::100::100::beer::popcorn::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::notes::notes::notes::bangbang:

2 Likes

i have nothing against the people that only check theirs once and then go about life, but that isn’t me. “Trust, but verify”, has been my motto for a very long time bobbyjean. I do not worry about ND’s from my handling and press checking of a firearm. My finger is never inside the trigger guard, I never completely cycle the slide so no setback issues from rechambering the same round over and over again, and it is always pointed in a safe direction, and that is a 3a plate in my EDC backpack. I do not fear my tools, but i very much respect them.

3 Likes

Rangehstr. I have a very good reason I check my weapons. !! I was on the job . Under cover!!! And I had an edc., on my console. Of my vehicle. And I didn’t have it chambered!!! But another . !!! Person. !!! Was playing with it and they chambered it and I . Got shot!! And I knew it was not loaded :bangbang: BY TILL GUN SMOKE WAS BLOWN OUT OF MY MOUTH :bangbang::feather::feather::chile::us::bangbang:Have a Root Beer. :beer: . Never again :100::100::skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Yes sir I check every single thing I . Can not help it . I had . That piece sets in my vehicle and . I would find out if . The bad guys were wanting to hurt me .?? And one of my Brothers . Was messing around with it. And he chambered it. And I . Found out. WTF. So . I don’t believe in ghost. :ghost: But . Ya never know. Ya know have a root beer :beer: chill. :beer::popcorn::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::feather::feather::bangbang:

2 Likes