Bad Ammo: Bad Consequences

Kenneth, I built a “clean room” for nothing but reloading. It darn near looks like a operating room. No other projects or junk to get in the way. No distractions to induce errors.

Everything is put away so the only things out on the bench are what I’m currently working on.

3 Likes

357 Sig is notorious for boolit set back due to the thin and SHORT case neck. The bottle necked Mauser pistol ammo was better due to the thick case walls.

One thing EVERYBODY needs to do is look at their carry ammo that gets chambered over and over again. Boolit set back occurs almost every time we chamber a round. Sooner or later it gets too short and causes pressure issues, generally not catastrophic but it will make things kick hard. The other thing it does is beat the “petals” of a hollow point SD round together essentially turning it into a FMJ round.

Rotate your chambered rounds if you down load often and be prepared to buy more and send your damaged ones down range OR don’t download your pistol.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

The best I have come up with is a “Gun Barn” it is where I do my gun work, reload, contemplate my naval and on occasion enjoy a good scotch and cigar. I have the “wood” side, the “metal side” the reloading island and the comfy chair, they all stay pretty much in their respective corners.

I worked in an Operating Room for 13 years and I don’t want anything that even vaguely resembles one of those although I do have a fair bit of instrumentation that REALLY comes in handy :crazy_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

The bourbon collection has its own room too :joy:

2 Likes

How many guys that are fanatics about their reloading would ever consider giving/selling their ammo. First is the time it takes and then is the fact that if you really are fanatical and going after accuracy you probably aren’t making loads to fit in ‘every gun’. You are probably tailoring your loads to ‘a specific chamber’

4 Likes
  1. I can’t sell because I don’t have a ammo manufacturer license

2. I have a single stage, do it for fun but share with friends and family on my range

3. I already have a day job and don’t want to invest in a manufacturing setup

3 Likes

I agree 100%.

Larry

One guy I know wont let other reloaders use his data because the rounds he makes are tailored for his guns.

2 Likes

Reloading, like many other hobbys, takes years to get to the right load, bullet and so on. I feell like I must inspect every round for fill, bullet concentricity, primer depth and the overall lenght to match the chamber of my weapon, for me it is not how many rounds can I produce, but can I produce the best round possible.
While reloading is not my only hobby it is very important to be safe, make it right, because there is no do over if the cartridge goes bad. If I machine something wrong it may not kill or injure me, but if I over charge a cartridge or worse if I had given a round to someone and they were injured it would be almost impossible to live with myself. Not saying I have never made a mistake, but the mistakes were caught and recitifed or scraped prior to useing.

Larry

1 Like

I had a bad factory .38 Spl cartridge that wouldn’t chamber in a revolver!
I now check every speed loader of carry ammo to see if they chamber before going out,

I won’t make a “power buy” of any ammo without first firing a sample box first, and even if it performs and I make the investment, I’ll still shoot a sampling every so often (if it’s for long term ) to make certain it hasn’t deteriorated.

Have noticed in my practice ammo, using a “generic” 9mm Luger in white box. Upon closer inspection, manufactured by Federal. Rounds where incredibly dirty, my arms were covered with black residue. More importantly, I experienced several FTE’s in a gun that has cycled, literally, over a thousand rounds problem-free. My EDC hollow-points are older Hornaday Critical Defense that I’ve had great results with. Otherwise, I’m leery of the stuff on the shelves right now.

1 Like

I agree they are pushing out all the ammo they can and quality is suffering. This another good reason to have a stock pile of ammo to work out of while the supply is tight.

2 Likes

Another reason to plan and buy when production isn’t rushed and product is available and inexpensive.

2 Likes

My friend just bought a new 9mm and was fortunate to be able to get some S&B ammo for it. He was having FTF problems on every magazine this morning. I thought maybe he was limp wristing, so I tried it, FTF about every 3 to 4 rounds and failed to lock slide open when empty.

I handed him one of my magazines loaded with WWB I bought last year, no problems. Then we loaded one of his magazines with my ammo, no problems. Went back to the S&B, FTF problems the rest of the day :-1:

At least he got some chamber clearing training today :+1:

1 Like

ONE TIME during one of the past ammo panics I needed 1K rounds of 9mm and I ran out of my go to powder. I ended up getting a 5lb bottle of X700 (that was the only pistol powder in a 50 mile radius that I could find) which “CAN” be used in 9mm but the margin is very small from over to under powder. I leaned to the middle low side and cranked out the last 500 rounds. Not being sure of what I had and having to have 1K of good ammo I brought a can of “military bunker ammo” as a back up. The 231 loads performed as always, the X700 loads were way under power and the failure to cycle rate was about 3 out of 5, the boolit left the tube and hit the target at 15 yards but it wouldn’t cycle the gun.

The up shot of the error was that I now have a life time supply of training failures. When I train with 9mm I will separate out a bunch of ammo (enough that I know I will shoot that day) and then dump a couple handfuls of the error ammo in and mix well. It makes for a very realistic set of circumstances when training myself or others.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Excellent example of making lemonade out of lemons !

4 Likes

Had the same issue with a 200 count box of Winchester white box FMJ. One short round in one of the 2 boxes. Never had any issues with the brand before, so I am just making sure to pay attention. Luckily they gave me one extra round in each 100 round boxes :grin:.

1 Like

Kinda like popping a snap cap into the mix here or there. Good idea, good training exerciser .

I have a firearm that has way more malfunctions than it should and use this for a trainer, for the same reason.

I had that happen to me on some ball ammo .45 ACP from Remington. It was only one box and I had 4 of my .45 with me and it did it on all 4 guns.

2 Likes

I had two other 9mm with me, I should have tested some of it in those as well. Maybe next time … I think he has about 200 more left from that group.

1 Like