Attacking dog and can I shoot it?

During an attack, there is no time for videoing or phone calls. I would say at least carry pepper spray (expect to get some back on you, depending on the wind). I have encountered some dogs that will go right through it, though most will back off if you start the spray just before they get to you…maybe 15 ft back. Many will then stay out of reach of the spray.

2 Likes

You don’t know how sick this makes me feel… that man is in grave danger if two or more attack at once. The owner is personally responsible, legally and financially, for the injuries their dogs inflict.

2 Likes

True, during an unexpected dog attack, there probably won’t be time to call the police or video the situation. However, if you’re on a walk where a known dog issue may be, a body cam may be a good investment to show what’s happening with that other dog.

2 Likes

Very true. A body cam wouldn’t ever be a bad idea.

2 Likes

I walk my dogs with a can of bear spray gel with indelible dye and my CCW, because I will get into middle to break it up and if their dog then turns on me.

2 Likes

Tasers also work very well against animals and if they get too close you can still drive-stun them with it like a regular stun gun

2 Likes

In Arizona, you can protect YOURSELF from an attacking animal but not your pet.

3 Likes

The bear spray version is much better, bigger can for more dogs.

2 Likes

I have a dog that is very protective, he keeps to himself when out with me but he has gone after the UPS delivery driver when he gets the chance…

My dog can do nothing more than intimidate someone, all he has is a bark, the only bite you can get is if you give him fingers to bite and even then, you have to let him chew to get through your skin…

6lb Chihuahua.

Although this post looks to be geared towards large dogs attacking, there are these little dogs which are well known as aggressive and highly protective of their owners with only really having a bark…

If you fight back against a dog, is it a justified attack against the dog? My dog for example, he can scare you but there is no chance he could ever harm you… although rare, I’ve had some people antagonize my dog into aggressive behavior and then make comment on how they will kick, severely injure or kill (without saying kill) my dog in proclaimed self defense from something they started.

Guess what I’m getting at is you need to make sure if you take action against a dog, it needs to be unprovoked and a true fear for your safety of imminent bodily harm. A little dog like mine that could only bite a finger if you stuck it in his mouth and even then not do any harm would be unjustified.

3 Likes

When I was a child, I had a friend who was attacked by another friends dog, It was serious! Ripped a piece off of his neck and had to be hauled off by paramedics.

In that moment, all we did including myself was kicking the dog, it DOES NOT work actually it made him more aggressive! The only thing that stopped him was the owner mom ran up with a broom stick and once he “heard” his owner the dog retreated. The dog type was chow.

Now, Adam did survive. Last I checked he is living a successful life in shed construction in Texas however, the owners family had been cited and fined by police, along with a law suite from Adams family which is understandable due to medical bills.

Edit: The dog no doubt was put down by injection.

2 Likes

@Orpackrat when it comes to dogs like yours, no lethal action would not be taken, yes a good punt would settle that. But also I’ve had a coworker receive a very good deep bite from a chihuahua as he was walking away from a house, the dog bite him in the back if the leg.

2 Likes

Very good post. Your point about some people provoking an attack happens frequently. I have an American Bulldog who is a trained service dog. I frequently run into people who stomp at her trying to get a reaction out of her. She’s well trained and doesn’t even look at the fools. While the law is on my side, harassing or injuring a service dog is a crime, I usually just turn and go the other way. However, if someone were to kick or injure her I’m sure I would feel threatened and possibly in fear for my life. I’ve modified my shirts so that my cellphone camera works kind of like a police body camera. I record everything when we’re out. People do notice and that alone often diffuses the situation.

Dogs that run wild and are not under control are a problem, but some folks just over react to any dog. Kind of like those folks who over react to O/C.

3 Likes

@CoonDockCountry

Must have been a big chihuahua…

Turning you back on a chihuahua is generally a bad idea, got to keep eye contact…

I run across little dog all the time at work, even aggressive little ones, just keep an eye out, if you make eye contact, they often keep their distance.

4 Likes

So, so true. I have 6 chihuahuas myself and only 4 fingers on my left hand. :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

@Orpackrat it was probably Jack Russell size. I’ve never had a issue with dogs before. I’m the type person that if I see you walking your dog down the road, I’m trying to pet it (respectively mind you) I love animals and it sucks that I have these people in my neighborhood that can’t seem to understand that your dog belongs on a leash. My dog was dog friendly played with everyone. Now it starts become a question of will he see all dogs as ones that are going to attack.

4 Likes
2 Likes

In rescue shelters, at least in my experience, tea cup poodles and Chihuahua were by far the breeds that failed the dog bite test. I suspect that it’s more common but just not reported as most of us in animal rescue will take a few (100) bites and just work on that dogs socialization skills. We do have equipment also so it’s not like they are actually accomplishing anything.

For about a year , one time it seemed that’s all I got was problem poodles. We were the problem poodle people. It was all my daughter. I swear she could sit down a few feet away from a problem dog start working on homework and humming along to her IPOD and I don’t care how big or small the dog was it would be in her lap within 15 minutes. We always joked that she was like liquid Valium and gravity all mixed together for dogs.

I got her involved in rescue @ 6 y/o, had to get her a special insurance policy and everything. But she was fabulous. She had no fear of walking up to an adult and correcting them if they weren’t following the shelters rules.

Before I got hurt, and my body said alright, eff this I’ve had enough of your abuse and I just started going downhill. We were in that mythical 1% I made close to mid 6 figures, wife made barely 6 figures. We wanted our daughter to have that habit of service. So even after we were no longer that well off we still gave our time.

She turned out amazing for any who ask. She started leading city wide efforts at 12. I helped the first time, she did the rest.

Back to topic at hand though, never seen a dog resist her just sitting down and singing or humming and there were a few I was ready to draw down on.

2 Likes

Oh, dear Gawd! I don’t have anything on you bud, my Cats are like angelic!
(except when they’re not)
((…but as mentioned before, you know: “skittish as cats!”))

2 Likes

Actually it’s heat, fuel, oxygen. A spark would only be an effective fire starter with the appropriate fuel or preparation.

2 Likes