ATF asks……

2 Likes

" As people and businesses begin picking up the pieces following Hurricane Ian, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has a request for firearms dealers.

The agency wants the dealers to contact them if they experience theft, loss or damage to their inventory."

Sounds like a reasonable course of action to me.

Actually, I kind of guessed (not that I’d know) that that would be required

6 Likes

I gather they were trying to imply that FFLs are not law-abiding or trustworthy. So a public statement like that is designed to impugn the innocent.

5 Likes

Everybody does his job. ATF is checking, ABC7 is reporting. :+1:

I hope people affected by Ian get back or their feet very soon.

6 Likes

Imagine if you will, an unfortunate boating accident, but at a scale of entire country.

9 Likes

I bet the water levels would come up in some of our depleted dams, lakes and streams. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

We’re here from the government to help.

4 Likes

Nobody is asking why report it to the ATF? Is it no longer okay to report to local law enforcement?

2 Likes

Was it over okay for firearms dealers to report locally and not to the ATF?

This is stating firearms dealers aka FFL’s/gun stores. I’m pretty sure ATF audits all this, checks the bound book, etc, all that, not the locals

4 Likes

That’s what seems weird to me, if I was an FFL I would more than likely want to report to LEO’s and the ATF because of my licensing and an explanation of missing firearms. I would imagine Insurance companies would want case numbers as well as numbers. Could be a poorly researched story too. It would seem that they are confusing matters.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with the perspective that it’s about making the general public think firearms dealers wouldn’t report missing or stolen guns unless they were told to

4 Likes