At what age should a man stop wearing one or more earrings?

At what age should a man stop wearing one or more earrings?

At birth.

12 Likes

Personal preference.

Nobody gets a say (adult/age of majority) other than the individual.

/topic concluded

5 Likes

:point_up_2:t3:
At least in my Family… I don’t care about other “men” preferences.

4 Likes

That depends, I had the honor of earning mine during a line-crossing, crossing the X and becoming a Golden Shellback.
I preferred the piercing to the tattoo!

3 Likes

Seamen proudly sported earrings as a mark of their travels and voyages. Earrings were given to young sailors to commemorate their first crossing of the equator, or when they rounded the treacherous waters of Cape Horn, the southernmost tip of South America.

Earrings were also worn for superstitious reasons. Some pirates were convinced that wearing an earring would improve or even cure bad eyesight, as they believed that the precious metals in an earring possessed magical healing powers. Another tale was that pierced ears would prevent seasickness. Others believed that a gold earring served as a protective talisman and that a man wearing an earring wouldn’t drown.

wearing hoop earrings did serve one truly beneficial purpose for living sailors. "Pirates, especially those who fired the ships’ cannons during close combat with the enemy, dangled wads of wax from their earrings to use as earplugs,

Wearing earrings didn’t protect pirates from drowning, seasickness or bad eyesight, but at least it helped protect them against hearing loss.

Earrings made of gold and silver were used as money . If a pirate or sailor drowned and washed up on the beach, the earrings would serve as payment for a proper Christian burial. Sometimes, they engraved the name of their home port on the inside of the earring so that their bodies could be sent to their families for a proper burial.

I am not a pirate nor have I ever played one on T.V. but, I have never had earrings either. A personal choice I would say! If I was to go out on the high seas I would probably get gold, silver and platinum earrings to help from getting sea sick!

8 Likes

Aaayye, aaarrrggghhh, rounded Cape Horn, Cape of Good Hope, Order of Magellan x3 and most coveted Order of the Blue Nose plus others!
( no, my nose is not pierced ).

4 Likes

That’s what all pirates say.

8 Likes

It resumes being some else’s business to interfere in an individual’s choice when it comes to disposal of remains. Until then, I suppose the time has come when you stop seeing them.

In – 1972
Out – TBD

2 Likes

If you’re worried about earrings then your town must have solved the whole pants-below-the-butt thing.

3 Likes

I identify as a Privateer, good sir

3 Likes

Don’t call me sir, I work for a living.
Fair enough, I will use your preferred synonym.

I had one of my ears pierced when I was 14 because it was just a trend. I just completely stopped wearing an earring at the age of 25. No real reason other than I just didn’t want to do it anymore.

2 Likes

Your parents were very understanding.

Yeah. I grew up in a single-parent household and in a bad neighborhood. Despite being in that type of environment, I never got into trouble and kept my grades high. I bought a lawnmower and made my own money to buy the extra things I wanted. She definitely allowed me a decent amount of freedom and expression.

4 Likes

My dad would have cut off my ear and my mom would have cut off the other one.

I just listen to George Carlin & agree mostly…

I’m happy for you.

I’m happy your happy. Now fire up the grill, pay some respects
and pass me a beer!
Because buying furniture and big screen TV’s “on sale” is not my idea of Memorial Day. Gathering with some close trusted friends and burning some meat, saluting the flag and remembering my dad and all the other dads and sons and moms and daughters, makes me extremely happy! Cheers!

4 Likes

Rice water.