At the International Airport - Random Attack

The reason this one stands out to me is, we dropped a friend off there on Friday, while she was checking in I looked around and realized, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to use a firearm for self defense in the unsecured area of the airport, just too many people.
Any ways, be alert and be capable.

11 Likes

Daughter’s ETA SLC Sunday the 19th for clinical in Payson.
My baby’s 27 y/o, tough but I’m aware overmatched against deranged people. So, I’m not far behind.
Might use the time to enjoy my federal Juneteenth holiday.
And I have a nonresident UT permit.

4 Likes

Yea, not much problem with carrying a firearm around here. Get down to Payson and you’ll see a bit open carry.

2 Likes

I went through that airport once a long time ago.

What a messed up world we live in that this kind of stuff happens.

1 Like

This is why I have been focusing more of my training effort on hand to hand options lately. There are a whole lot of places and situations where firearms aren’t allowed or aren’t always the safest option.

4 Likes

They way I look at it is “The more Tools in the toolbox the better.”.

5 Likes

Provided you know how to use all the tools on an instinctive level. You don’t want to lose time having to go through all the options trying to decide which one to use when presented with a sudden attack.

This is probably the biggest hurdle I am having right now with my Krav Maga training. My travel for work and budget limit the amount of training I can do. I find myself getting rusty with the techniques I haven’t practiced in awhile. Have been trying to focus more lately on getting solid with a handful of moves before trying to work more options in.

I just watched an online self defense fast class by Damien Ross. Seems like an interesting system for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time but wants a couple of effective moves that will work in a variety of scenarios.

2 Likes

https://www.myselfdefensetraining.com/combatives-fast-course-grappling/

This is a link to the class for anyone who is interested. $14 for an hour or so of instruction. Though they try to sell you a bunch of other courses during the checkout.

He kinda puts down regular martial arts training as not being very effective for the street. Though he doesn’t mention Krav Maga specifically. The focus on getting on the offensive ASAP is very similar.

1 Like

I once read “When attacked you are instantly responding to Them, YOU MUST make them respond to you as soon as possible” or in other words get off of the defense and get on the offense Right NOW. I have a handful of moves in mind and I practice them live as much as possible but never forget the famous words of Iron Mike Tyson.

4 Likes

Chew their ear off? :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I agree with your thought process.

Here’s what one guy proposes.

3 Likes

So, change of plans due to some medical issues (not mine), I’m flying with my daughter so would be unarmed in UT. I’ll bring a cane.

2 Likes

I did some pretty basic informal karate stuff when I was younger.
One thing that was emphasized early on was to turn a defensive move into offense.

1 Like

Hard to argue with Tim Larkin. Damien Ross proposes repeating that first chop while keeping your momentum moving towards the threat and keeping the threat off balance. He teaches other moves as well but they seem to all be used when those initial chops create an opening or the attacker is successfully fending off the chops.

As @Mike164 points out the key seems to be getting on the attack ASAP and to keep striking until the threat has stopped. Ideally you want to strike the threat before they can strike you. As can be seen in the various knockout game videos on the internet one strike can do a lot of damage. Best to keep from being on the receiving end if at all possible.

3 Likes

Or crime scene tape. :wink:

2 Likes

Is it Tim Larkin or someone else that repeatedly says, “speed, surprise, and violence of action”?

3 Likes

I haven’t taken any courses from him but have listened to several interviews with him and that certainly sounds like something he would say.

That also jives with the in person and online courses I have taken from other instructors. They use different vocabulary but the goal is the same.

3 Likes

To me, it goes back to this “Know something, practice something, and be ready to do something.” pick your flavor, there are many, just Pick One.

3 Likes