Ask and Attorney: Anything you carry can and will be used against you

If you’ve seen one arrest scene on a tv show or movie, you’ve probably heard the Miranda Rights being read:

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

But does that apply to the items you carry? Will they be used against you? Here’s what Tom Grieve has to say about it:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/will-my-firearm-caliber-be-used-against-me/

What caliber does your local law enforcement use?

3 Likes

Oh well, I can’t find a IWB holster for my M2 .50 caliber, anyway.

1 Like

So disheartening that article even had to be written. Unfortunately “handguns only poke holes” or “pistols are only to get to the rifle” are statements that aren’t understood or known to non-gun people.

I used to carry .357 Sig, but If I had to explain in court why I chose that round it could definitely be easy to turn my words around on me for picking the round I thought was easiest to “kill” someone with. That’s not why I chose to stop carrying the round, that was a financial decision, but it is a factor whether I like it or not.

I think we have to be wise as concealed carriers. I don’t mean by choosing a gun or caliber out of fear, but educating ourselves and being prepared to explain why we choose our gear in a way a novice can understand and is above reproach when called into question.

1 Like