Ask an Attorney - What's your question?

Thanks Gary. Saw your answer about the four rounds. Cool. I had been curious, because in one of the more strict areas I had discovered, which does not happen to be in any of those states you mentioned, the max capacity allowed was 10 rounds, but hopefully in the states you are going through, there might not be a max or if there is, four rounds seems like a low number. Hopefully the others here will continue to chime in. If I find any data, I’ll post it. Wishing you a fun and safe trip. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hand gun laws might differ from long guns, even within a vehicle. I took a quick look at USCCA’s list of regs of possessing a handgun in a vehicle. Sate laws differ, the city of Omaha, NE, has unique laws. As you’d be going thru quite a few states, erring on the side of caution might be key, keeping the rifle out of sight, unloaded, and locked such as with one of those trigger locks, and unaccessible to the driver’s or any passenger’s reach.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

1 Like

Burdo: It looks like I am good. Green in all states except Nebraska and Wyoming which have some Handgun requirements,
I have my CCP so I am good on that.

2 Likes

Where would I find a list of Ohio attorneys closest town where I reside ?

Welcome to the community.

You might want to start with this Web page.

1 Like

Thank you very much OldGnome for your quick reply . I am a new member of USCCA(2 weeks) but not new to concealed carry (approximately 10 years-Ohio) or guns . USMC four years and retired a USAF Reservist for a combined total of approximately 22 years . I am totally impressed by USCCA and working my way through the training and videos . A few of my friends have convinced me I should give it a try so I joined and quickly found out about all the aspects of concealed carry I did Not Know ! People have to realize you just don’t carry a weapon legally and hope for the best , it’s an everyday learning process ! Thanks USCCA , you have an excellent program and will highly recommend it to anyone . By the way OldGnome , I found a USCCA Criminal Defense attorney approximately 25 miles from my home .

2 Likes

USCCA Attorney Network
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/attorneys/?us-state=Ohio

1 Like

I am hoping the USCCA Community can guide me on how to determine for certain whether one of my handguns and the magazines for that handgun are “still legal for me to posses”?

I live in the state of Maryland and many years ago legally purchased and registered a full frame M&P9 that included a 16 round magazine. Since the time of that legal purchase, Maryland has enacted laws that limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds or less and those laws not only affect what guns can be legally purchased today but also dictate that I cannot be in possession of magazines that exceed 10 rounds.

While I have assumed that because I legally purchased and registered that handgun in Maryland during a time when there were no magazine limitations that pistol is “grand fathered” and still legal to possess. I cannot really validate that all of the 16 round magazines that I acquired for the M&P9 are still legal to possess because I lack the ability to completely comprehend what I see as contradictory or vague Maryland state gun regulations. Current day regulations simply state that the possession of these 16 round magazines is unlawful.

As a somewhat new member to USCCA, I am hoping that the community can help me figure out what I am not able to figure out on my own!

Thanks in advance for any guidance and feedback.

2 Likes

What can USCCA DO TO FIGHT FOR OUR 2A THAT THEY ARE NOT DOING NOW ???

1 Like

@RitchT - WE CAN ALWAYS USE A FEW GOOD MEN >>> Welcome aboard ship<<<<
:paraguay::paraguay::paraguay:

1 Like

Good luck with your search Kevin. IDK. I’m not from MD nor an attny, but found some info:

“Maryland bans the intrastate manufacture, sale, and transfer of magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Note that possession of high-capacity magazines is legal, and Maryland residents can possess high-capacity magazines they lawfully owned before 10/1/13. Maryland residents can also purchase or import high-capacity magazines from out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland.”

Source:
https://www.gunlawsbystate.com/law/states/maryland-gun-laws

"(b)(1) A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994, and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1, 1994, may:

(i) continue to possess and transport the assault pistol;"

Source:

https://www.atf.gov/file/117251/download

Complicated.

1 Like

Great question. Would like to know the answer to this question for Alabama.

1 Like

Thanks for the link and research Burdo! It is definitely complicated and I think Maryland intended on being vague on purpose! My assumption that the handgun is grand fathered is based on the same information you found and provided. Don’t even get me started on the categorizing as “assault pistol”…

Leave it to the state of Maryland to enact laws on the magazines - and remain silent on grand father for those. Allowing lawful possession of the handgun but outlawing the simple possession of any magazines that work in that handgun is just “too convenient” for the left wing zealots that run things here.

I do appreciate the time you took to provide feedback!

2 Likes

Interesting topic, it led me to find links to various states. Of course, the USCCA has a good link as well.

Here’s another couple on MD:

This one lists each state:

Educational. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What are the legal rights of a commercial truck driver carrying a firearm for protection in their semi over state line?

1 Like

@Ian34 each individual states laws apply however no federal laws and carrier’s policies but I would go out on a limb and say you could have it unloaded and cased in any state and load when you shut down…then it would fall into the realm of castle doctrine…which also requires research…I’m not a lawyer…just a fellow trucker so check your laws with the uscca reciprocity map

2 Likes

Truck driver’s do not have any special rights for possession of firearms in any state. Following federal transportation rules would be helpful but you must also follow the laws of the state where you are present at the time. That includes magazine capacity laws, “assault weapon” bans and ammunition bans.

1 Like

A close friend of ours has a non-violent felony conviction in Wisconsin all because of dumb stuff he did as a teen. His wife wants to own a firearm and conceal carry. Our friend’s PO has told them she cannot because of his conviction.

I get that he can’t because of the felony on his record. But not even his wife? Would love some guidance on this. Can HIS PO really tell his wife with no record whatsoever that even SHE cannot own a firearm and carry?

2 Likes

You might want to look at this thread. Keep in mind, it is all dependent on state law.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Digging a bit deeper, it looks like in Wisconsin, the wife of a convicted felon might not even be able to possess pepper spray.

2 Likes