Ask an Attorney - What's your question?

I am the owner of the business

3 Likes

Is it private property? Or do you lease the building/land?

3 Likes

@Leonardo2 it would depend a lot on what state you are in and where your business is located and any prohibitions that may exist. In most states, business owners can keep firearms at their businesses. However, if you are in a shopping mall, they may have restrictions that may or may not apply depending on the state and possibly local laws.

2 Likes

Thanks you guys for the help this is a question Iā€™ve been having trouble have answered. Itā€™s a brick and mortar Iā€™m on lease. As far as I know there are no prohibitions and Iā€™m in Florida

4 Likes

I do not believe Florida has any laws that would prevent you from carrying on property that you lease.

3 Likes

@Leonardo2 But do check the details in the lease you signed. My lease has a firearms clause.

4 Likes

If your in police custody after a self defense incident. (Letā€™s assume you asked the police if you could leave and they said no which means your in custody)

The cops are asking you questions and you reply with " I need my attorney to be present before I answer any of your questions"

I know this invokes the Sixth Amendment but my question is

Do the police have to stop asking you questions after you tell them you need to speak to your attorney or can they keep badgering you?

3 Likes

What is the best way to deal with the use of masks required by some retailers, and the conflicting issues in some states where it unlawful to be armed and where a face covering?

3 Likes

Good uscca videos on the website cover this well

4 Likes

@Johnathan4

3 Likes

I am not an attorney, I donā€™t play one on TV and I didnā€™t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If you say you wish to invoke youā€™re 5th Amendment Rights. They can continue until you specifically say you want to speak to your attorney. @MikeBKY can probably give better answer

3 Likes

Under the Fifth Amendment and Miranda, if you ask for an attorney, the police must stop asking you questions immediately. Ricci v. DeStefano, 557 U.S. 557 (2009). Questioning can begin again after counsel is provided, the suspect reopens the dialogue or there is a 14 day gap in questioning while the suspect is out of custody. Lanning v. SEPTA 181 F.3d 487 (3d Cir. 1999).

Under 6th Amendment right to counsel which applies after adversarial action is taken (you have been charged), you cannot be questioned about the offense(s) charged outside the presence of your attorney whether in or out of custody. Fellers v. United States, 540 U.S. 519 (2004). They can ask you about other things which would go back to Miranda.

5 Likes

The app advertised $1.99, but charged $2.14. Not gonna break the bank, but stillā€¦

3 Likes

@Michael554 15 cent state tax most likely.

4 Likes

The tax man cometh

2 Likes

What is duty to retreat and what would be required to pass the retreat stage before going to deadly force? Wouldnā€™t want to turn my back on an attacker and how do I go about proving that I did retreat? From Ohio

3 Likes

State of TN has a sign requirement for not carrying in a business. Must have picture of firearm crossed through and reference to TCA 39-17-1359. If a business just has a sign posted no firearms, but does not conform to the law, what are consequences of my carrying my weapon inside if it were to be revealed? (I figure legally it would not stand, but practically am I going to be hassled by LEO etc.?)

Unfortunately some of the most desirable places to have a firearm for protection think such a sign will protect the business and occupantsā€¦ I disagree.

3 Likes

Illinois resident here, also new member.
Just had a quick question hopefully a simple one.
I have my ccl and live in Montgomery IL I drive to work thru the city of Aurora IL. I know that Aurora has a capacity limit of 10 rounds. My question is in Montgomery there is no limit on capacity and my carry holds 13 rounds. Do I have to limit my self to 10 while I travel thru Aurora IL?

3 Likes

I donā€™t know the answer to that but wondered, are individual cities able to trump your state laws? No pun intended.

3 Likes

Honestly I am not sure. I know that when I lived there I purchased a pistol and the local gun store took my 15 round mags and replaced them with 10 rounders. I wasnā€™t happy lol

3 Likes