Ask an Attorney: What you say online can be used against you

We’ve talked about watching what you say online before, but I think it is worth repeating. Here’s Tom Grieve’s take on it:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/can-what-i-post-on-social-media-be-used-against-me/

Remember, putting a laughing emoji ( :rofl: ) won’t necessarily be interpreted as you’re joking about what you’ve said. Sarcasm doesn’t come across in text, so be clear about what you mean and say what you mean.

What are the worst things you’ve seen people say on social media?

This thread is about bad statements we’ve seen, NOT statements we agree with.

4 Likes

When everyone was talking about Obama working with the UN. I saw several posts of “I’ll shoot the first blue beret I see.”
Or the sign that says “Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.”

2 Likes

I had a client lose his job as a police officer because of private messages and posts on Facebook. What you say (spoken or written no matter where it is) can and will be held against you.

3 Likes

Quick question: How do private messages become public, @MikeBKY? Is it because the other person shares them or are the subpoenaed? Or are they being found publicly somehow?

2 Likes

In this day and age of ubiquitous electronics, it is my firm belief that if one person can do something electronically, someone else can hack it.

6 Likes

The records were obtained through a search warrant and subsequently released to the media by the County Attorney (district attorney). The search warrant was issued as part of an investigation of another police officer who has since plead guilty to multiple crimes in state and federal court relating to sexual contact with minor Explorers. My client was not a suspect but there were unrelated text and messenger messages between him and the suspect leading to the search warrant. Many uninvolved officers Facebook accounts and cell records were part of the investigation subject to search warrants.

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much information we now store digitally that can be used against someone or ourselves…

Thanks, @MikeBKY!

1 Like

Yes it is! Because of my jobs, past and current, I have had to review social media for potential evidence. Looking at what you have posted, commented on and liked can be enlightening. Do a Facebook dump and take a look if you date. Here are the instructions …
https://www.facebook.com/help/1701730696756992?helpref=hc_global_nav

2 Likes

I have had facebook call the police on people for what their algorithms picked up in “private” messages between two people.

2 Likes

Holy cow @Tom_Grieve … really?
Big Brother is alive and well.

I’d be interested in understanding the character of the message that was sent… I’m guessing it wasn’t a legit threat, what triggered the algorithm?

1 Like

WOW! I didn’t know that they did that. I wonder how many Facebook users know that’s a thing?

After a quick search:

“Antigone Davis, Facebook’s global head of safety, told the station: “We are using technology to proactively detect content where someone might be expressing thoughts of suicide.””

… proactively detect … where someone MIGHT be …

Minority Report, anyone? or maybe 1984?

Thought Crimes are a thing… and that’s pretty scary.

3 Likes

It gives new meaning to Facebook Jail!

1 Like

So, why am I not on Facebook?? I gotta get me some of that!

2 Likes

I can assure you it’s more than suicide that they are sweeping for.

4 Likes