Ask an Attorney: Under the Influence

Awesome! By the way, I read over it again and learned something. I did not know there was a change of address form on the LSP website. Good stuff! I was thinking I would have to re apply if I move.

2 Likes

Why would I take advice from an attorney who’s under the influence? Laws are complicated enough with a clear head!:wink:

3 Likes

:roll_eyes: :rofl: I should have known one of you would make that sort of comment. :woman_facepalming: LOL!

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

1 Like

I’ll drink to that! :slight_smile:

Michael T Burns
Attorney at Law

3 Likes

I’ve thought about opening a bar with a gun range and smoke shop. I’ll call it FTA (instead of ATF). You have to start at the range and can then move on to have a cigar and bourbon.

6 Likes

@MikeBKY start it up :wink: I’ll come visit.
Not a smoker, and one bourbon’s my limit, but my hubby smokes the occasional cigar.

3 Likes

@Zee I quit smoking 12/31/1988 and stopped drinking bourbon (on a regular basis) in 1986. I prefer beer because it is much easier to control. But I’d be happy to profit on other’s vices!
My regular range comes pretty close with my favorite watering hole about 1/2 down the street on the way home. If you are ever in Louisville, let me know. We can play at Shoot Point Blank and then throw back some suds at The Blind Squirrel.

4 Likes

@MikeBKY you know I’ll let you know if I’m down your way :grin:

2 Likes

Let me know, @Zee and @MikeBKY, I’ll make the trip too!!!

2 Likes

@Dawn and @Zee I’ve got the first round!

2 Likes

@MikeBKY. That acronym FTA had a very different meaning when I was in the Army 50 years ago.

1 Like

I made much if not most of my living guiding hunts for 20 plus years. We always had a rule, “Drink all you want but the first time you crack a bottle or pop a top the guns are unloaded and the hunt is over”.

Nothing wrong with combining the two as long as you do so in the right order.:smiley:

3 Likes

@WildRose That’s a great rule Charles. That makes good sense and I’m really positive it worked very well.

2 Likes

As inherently dangerous as bird hunting is in the entire time I was guiding we only had one incident where someone got hurt and everyone was stone cold sober.

Unfortunately we had a guy that was supposed to be a half mile away come up from behind wearing camo in thick brush and he caught a load of 7.5’s at about forty yards by his buddy as birds broke from slightly ahead and to our right straight for the guy in the brush.

I ended up picking the shot out of him because the doc who shot him was too upset and he was back to hunting the next day.

I was guiding about a 170-190 days a year from Texas to Canada and over to Washington for every upland species in the west so I’m pretty proud of that record.

2 Likes

@WildRose. Holy crapola. That’s bad. The very worst I ever have seen personally was pheasant hunting the guy had a 6 pack. So 5 full cans, one in the hand and with the plastic ring for a 6 pack he had the other 5 hanging off the butt end of his holstered revolver. One of the group called the game warden

2 Likes

We were all stone cold sober, just a really bad decision by the young guy who was supposed to have stayed at the truck while we took off after a some running covies on top of ice packed frozen snow.

They were told explicitly if they weren’t going with us, not to follow but I guess he got bored, cut through the woods and approache us from about a 4:00 direction, didn’t hollar at us or anything so we had no clue he was there till I saw him fall.

What saved him was it was bitterly cold and he had on four layers including two layers of insulated overalls and a heavy, lined, leather Elmer Fudd hat with the ears pulled down.

If not for that I’m not so sure he’d have survived.

1 Like

@WildRose Wow Charles, that’s a very lucky man. I have seen shotgun suicides about 7 or 8 times in my career specifically, of course many many others by guns but not to mention the deceased is unviewable death but shotgun is really harsh.

1 Like

He learned a lesson that day he’ll never forget. The doc took it worse than anyone because he pulled the trigger. I spent an extra two days with him after the father/son pair went home knowing if I didn’t get him back to shooting before he left he’d never pick up another gun.

They hunted with me for five more years till the old man passed away so I think we done good.

2 Likes

Little bit of both. 4 yrs USMCR, 20 USN. Now I just build ships.

2 Likes