Ask an Attorney: Raise your right to remain silent or your right to an attorney?

The legal aspect of self-defense fascinates me. When I teach concealed carry classes, it’s my favorite area to talk about because it is so important and can be incredibly complex. Tom Grieve has a great way of breaking down the confusing/complex topics in easy to understand layman’s terms.

What does it mean to raise your right to remain silent vs your right to an attorney? Which right do you raise after a self-defense incident?

Tom Grieve with the easy-to-understand explanation.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/your-right-to-silence-vs-your-right-to-an-attorney/

A key thing to take away for me was - contrary to how Hollywood portrays it - your attorney cannot raise your right to remain silent or your right to an attorney. No one else can raise those rights for you. You have to state them yourself.

What is a key take away from Tom’s explanation of the right to remain silent and your right to an attorney?

3 Likes

Main takeaway is that right to remain silent doesn’t stop the badgering and right to an attorney does. That, and that you have to do it yourself.

I’d like to know more about when your right to remain silent can be used against you (supreme court ruling he mentioned)

2 Likes

I need to see if I can get Tom Grieve to jump in here from time to time… :thinking:

2 Likes