So boredom set in on Saturday and I decided to give all the guns a good cleaning and lube. My most recent AR build is finished minus the sling I am waiting on that is 3 months backordered so I had nothing else to tinker with. Well the cleaning was done and I just kept looking at one of my AR’s and just thought it was missing something. This was my first build about 13 years ago and I have been wanting to refresh it. I initially thought of upgrading it to some more modern parts. This takes money though that I really don’t want to spend. The rifle functions well so there is no reason to dump money into something working. Basically if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Recently I have been watching DIY battleworn videos on youtube and thought I would give that a whirl. So I pulled out some rags, sponges, scotch brite, paint and gun cleaner and went to town. This AR was originally coated in desert tan cerakote and years layer I hit it with a satin black rattle can.
I used the gun cleaner to strip some of the rattle can black off. The scotch brite was used to take some of the rattle can off the high spots and I used sponges and rags to apply some black paint for a more weathered look. Overall I am happy with the outcome. I figured if I didn’t like it in the end I could just rattle can it again or strip the rest of it off. I think this look will be here to stay for a while on this firearm.
For those that want to know the specs of the AR, here they are:
- Spikes lower with lower kit
- Stag Arms 1:7 upper with an M4 profile chrome lined 4150 CMV barrel and Mil-spec mag phos BCG with chrome inner lining for bolt.
- Troy Medieval Muzzle break
- Stark industries grip with integrated trigger guard
- Mil-spec buffer and buffer tube
- Magpul MOE carbine mil-spec stock
-Midwest industries quad rail
- Vortex strikefire red dot
- Magpul BUIS
-Mil-Spec charging handle
-Magpul rail covers
- Streamlight flashlight
- Magpul vertical grip
Let’s see the projects keeping you busy on your off time during these wild and crazy times.