Are You Ammo Picky 2022?

I was an ammo snob until companies started price gouging, lunatics started talking about nuclear weapons and politicians agreed to start selling off parts of the U.S.
Now anything that fits and goes bang in the right direction, is good enough for me!

7 Likes

What should we be looking for?
How can you tell a good lot number from a bad lot number?

I’ve got unopened cases of Speer Lawman acquired from a few different sources over the years and I suspect each case has different lot numbers.

2 Likes

I won’t buy Remington/UMC handgun ammunition because of the grief it’s caused me.
WIll. Not.
The same goes for Federal’s cheap aluminum Walmart-oid stuff.
Less costly imports like PPU, Magtech, Fiocchi and PMC I find are far more reliable and will happily invest in if can ever find the stuff.

WWB has always performed well for me.

2 Likes

Good question Mr. Sanhez. No short answer.

• never had a problem with new factory center fire handgun amo. ( I did with 22 long rifle amo ) and gunpowder, here we go >
  • while back found 22 long Rifle Blazer that shot like crazy in all my rifles, I bout 20,000 of the same lot number. When I finished them I bought 10,000 more, only to find out they shot like crapola in all my rifles and hard to camber in two CZ rifles. The store would not take the amo back. There was more red tape than Carter has farter starters trying to return them to CCI so I gave have up. The 22s are ok in the handguns so lesson learned.
  • Gun powder - had a recipe that was so good it was boring, bought more powder ( different lot number ) not so much. Thought I shot the barrel out so i had a new one installed. Not a big deal only $500. At the time,
    Guess what it wasn’t the barrel it was a different lot # of powder.

if you buy powder or amo over the counter, pick one that has a lot of the same lot number, try it and put the rest in layaway. Even if you pay a restock fee you’ll get something that works for you. If you buy on line it’s a crap shoot. If your not a accuracy Freak , no worry.
The end.

2 Likes

Hope your stuff works.

4 Likes

Brass cases with boxer primers is what I look for.

4 Likes

In 9mm I prefer clean shooting, brass-cased 124gr.

I avoid shooting dirty ammo (you know who you are) or 115gr but I have some on hand for bartering or give-away. No steel or aluminum cases for me.

And .22lr MiniMags.

4 Likes

Bread only. No Russian ammo.

3 Likes

I am picky about practice and defense ammo. My son is an excellent reloader so I have learned from him ways to tell good ammo from not so good. Personally blazer is okay, but my favorite shelf ammo is Fiocchi. I also like Federal here’s why.

If you look closely and feel the connection between the bullet and the case, it should be tight and smooth. If it’s not, you can feel and see it. Obviously that is going to affect the way it cycles. The other thing I didn’t notice until I couldn’t get some ammo to cycle through my Mares Leg 44, sometimes it’s just a little too long altogether.

When I first started shooting, I couldn’t understand what the big deal was. My son and I have done many comparison tests with numerous calibers and brands. We have experienced differences between being able to hit a tennis ball reliably, to not being able to hit the barrel drum we set it on, not kidding? Especially when you get some distance.

My favorite is always my son’s custom. But I have read for carry ammo we really should use shelf ammo. It can make you look too gunly in court if it’s custom. For carry ammo, I have no brand I love. I’ll read the other replies to see what I can learn. Shoot straight!

3 Likes

For all the other newbies out there…read your guns warranty information. I found out if I use reloads, it will null/void my limited warranty on my Sig Sauer. FYI! I wish I had known that before I found Peening on my gun. Sad Face.

How
would
they
know
?

4 Likes

:thinking:
Do you report to SIG what ammo are you using?

2 Likes

I could see a manufacturer asking as part of the troubleshooting or understanding the problem, and also as not wanting to pay to fix damage caused by the many handloaders out there who damage/destroy guns with overcharged or doublecharged cartridges (or squib)

Personally when I loan a gun to somebody, even if it’s just a spare I brought for a class they need, or whatever, pretty much my only stipulation is “no reloads”.

2 Likes

All of my Glocks eat everything I feed them. Range ammo, bulk ammo, carry ammo, remans during the BHO drought. Everything.

2 Likes

Short answer: Yes.

I saw a squib load in a SA 9mm almost cost a guy a few new scars, so I am very picky.

Ammo?? Can you get any at reasonable prices? hahahahaha … I don’t go to the range anymore as I cannot afford to waste any ammo!

I sure understand how expensive ammo can limit range time, but I don’t think it’s a waste to lob a box down range unless I’m just plinking for fun. Even then, having fun once a in awhile isn’t particularly wasteful.

I’m being more deliberate with every shot anymore.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter how much does it cost. It does matter how efficiently you shoot it.

2 Likes

Did a lot of training on the USG’s dime when I was actively working; just retired a year ago. A good buddy of mine (former SF guy) told me my muscle memory should be good enough to outshoot any pretenders (aka bad guys on the street)! He said we fired more rounds in those years than any perp has ever thought of and, I do agree with him in that sentiment; however, squeezing a few off for practice is just so satisfying. I concentrate on clearing my holster and getting on threat more in today’s world. In my basement and with dummy rounds in, naturally.

2 Likes

Amen to that!