Are you a sheepdog?

Everyone here obviously recognized that lethal defensive gun use is going to be a life changing event at the very least financially. That’s why you purchased uscca coverage right? The reality is, doesn’t matter if you did what was right. It’s what the courts can be convinced was right. Your freedom and property will be at the mercy of the courts. Maybe I’m a coward. But I’m not risking that for people who don’t matter to me.

1 Like

I really hate to think of it as “people who don’t matter to me”… But I must think of it as I have a family to take care of… I can’t do that from jail.

If you save a policeman, you’re a hero, if you stop a mass shooter, you’re a hero, if you save yourself or an “unimportant” person (in the eyes of the police or prosecutor) you may be in trouble.

6 Likes

This is exactly why it’s a situational decision. If it’s kids I’m going in, if it’s church I gave those people (family) my word I’d go in so I’m going. Outside of that my and my families safety will come first and I expect nothing less from anyone else. If I happen to save lives on my way out so be it but I won’t take unnecessary risk to do it.

2 Likes

@Danny28
I don’t look at as they don’t matter, they made choices, you made choices. How that plays out isn’t up to us.

3 Likes

NYPD probably doesn’t recruit the best examples of officers. But…

1 Like

Out here there are a lot of people who carry so you could have numerous people get involved.

1 Like

Departments have racial and gender quotas they have to meet… and command staff doesn’t care how inept and crooked they are… they just have to be the right shade or gender…

1 Like

Good question. First and foremost I’m looking out for my wife and family. I think I’m along ways from being a hero. Plus at this day and age, I see a lot of people that want the help and protection, but at the same time would stab you in the back in a heartbeat. I’m definitely not looking for confrontation, but like a lot of people I would have a hard time turning my head to say, some one being assaulted, or abused and that. Not as agile as I once was, but like to think I can still hold my ground.

2 Likes

I like to consider myself a sheepdog. I do go beyond limiting my concern to immediate family. I started a church security team and serve as the #1 target every session. Perhaps I just have a larger family? In a restaurant it would depend on whether I was alone or had family members with me, I guess. Pray I never find out.

6 Likes

I’m a 3 decker toadstool, and sauerkraut sandwich, with arsenic sauce.

4 Likes

A Harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under Voluntary Control. ~Jordan B. Peterson
I will protect my family first and if there are others that benefit from my protective posture so be it. But I get frustrated when I sit during mass and I am possibly the only armed Catholic Gentleman there. To think there was a time when Catholicism was a warriors religion.

4 Likes

I would like to think I’m a sheepdog of sorts. why else have I taken all this training and done so much practicing of the things I’ve been taught? But we live in such a litigious society other considerations must be given.
Let’s say I’m sitting in the restaurant and someone walks in the door to shoot the place up. Should I be responsible for those in the restaurant who didn’t feel the importance or deem it necessity to get the training and do the practice I did ? If it wasn’t a concern of theirs at the time, why should they and their lack of planning be a concern to me now ? I realize some have a happy go lucky life and others just do not have it in them to be a defender or a protector… isn’t that on them? Shouldn’t they be allowed to reap the harvest of the seeds they’ve sowed, or in this case, haven’t sowed?

2 Likes

Look around you. People are saying things that we just can’t believe that they bought into. Most people are simply parrots. We, the people, have never learned to think for ourselves. Over the years I have lived, I have seen that we tend now to simply “feel about” things. The unarmed citizens are those who can’t believe that either (1) they will never be a victim of gun violence, or (2) guns kill people when in the hands of someone other than a government approved person. So, their normalcy bias says that they are safe because they don’t own a gun. I have family members who fit that category.
I believe the reality lessons may soon start.

9 Likes

Roger that sir. I think you are dead right, no pun intended.

3 Likes

My Family of course always comes first. That being said, I joined my church security and pastor protection team to provide protection if required. That incudes everyone in the church. I pray to God every time I put on my weapon that I will never need it, but if I do please keep me strong and allow me to shoot straight and true. I train as often as I can and hope all of us that choose to carry do as well.

3 Likes

I would like to be on my Church’s security team, but my compromised immune system won’t allow that. I haven’t been to Church in a very long time (doing online church). If I ever get to join the team, my thought would be the same as yours. Even so-- my wife and I pray almost daily that we, too, will never have to draw our weapons…

2 Likes

i understand Danny28. Mine isn’t very strong either, I am diabetic, overweight and in the high risk 70 age group, but I like to go to church. We all socially distance and wear masks and try to be safe.

2 Likes

I hope to get back there someday-- nothing like having fellowship in person.

2 Likes

If you carry you are a Sheepdog and until you are confronted by evil doers you will never know what breed of sheep dog you are until that happens! I pray to God I won’t be tested but if I am I pray my aim is true!!!
:eagle::us::eagle:

2 Likes

Now days… you may want to add …and that the camera angles show what really happened

4 Likes