Are revolvers on the proposed gun control act?

I’ve been doing a lot of research on the proposed gun control act that’s lobbying to pass, but I can’t find anything that states revolvers are included.
I’m guessing due to revolvers not meeting or exceeding the high capacity terms.
Are revolvers somehow Burried within the gun control act?

4 Likes

That depends on how many rounds they decide to make “high capacity”. I have not read the latest on these proposals, but it is quite likely they do not know how many rounds some revolvers hold. If they find out, they might try to regulate that, too.

4 Likes

In the ‘county’ I reside in, the county law makers made it law in our county, 10 rounds max per weapon. Since many revolvers max less than 10, but are closer to 6, 5, and some even 8 rounds; I feel pretty secure at least when it comes to revolvers; but for semi’s, I have to limit my cap to 10. Very interested to hear any updates on the various state, or federal laws, as I plan on traveling. Thanks for your post.

2 Likes

They don’t appear to be in the initial legislation being proposed. However, their main purpose is self defense which is contrary to current progressive viewpoints. Once the camel gets its’ nose in the tent…

3 Likes

I have not seen revolvers mentioned in any gun control from Biden, DNC, Everytown, MDA, Giffords, etc.

However, recent AWB proposals in a few states (see Virginia as reference) they have expanded the definition of an “assault weapon” to also target lever/pump actions (rifle and shotgun) that have a tube capacity of 7+. As well as any firearm that is capable of handling 10+ rounds in a detachable magazine.

So while revolvers aren’t currently on the list, many of the black rifle alternatives have been showing up on their radar.

2 Likes

Revolvers have not made the list … yet!
But large caliber ammunition will be banned so a .50+ cal would be banned as would to stop of the weapons used in the American Revolution!

5 Likes

Concerning semi auto’s. Within the gun control proposal, it’s not what mag yiu carry in your firearm or what it came with.
It’s what it’s “capable” of. That’s the word that’s used strongly in that bill. “ CAPABLE”. You’re semi auto is most likely “capable” of holding more than a 10 round magazine.
That… if the bill passes… be constituted as an assault weapon.

3 Likes

Thank you for that input. Very interesting. Makes me wonder how many other states are tip toeing secretly burring legislation deep in some stack of papers fine lining such weapons as you mentioned.
I’ve read that shotguns aren’t even safe during the gun control proposal. Saying limited capacity (couldn’t find any real detail).
Even though… Biden in a public interview says “You don’t need an AR15 for home defense,just buy a shotgun”. :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

If you are interested in a specific example, this was presented in Virginia as HB 961. At that time (pre-filed in late 2019 for the Jan 2020 legislative session) it was the most egregious (IMO) definition of an “assault weapon” I’d ever seen. They called them a new name of “assault firearm” and I’m not sure if that was in response to pro-2A groups saying “assault weapon” is a made up term (it is). It wasn’t very secret.

This one bans a huge swath of semi-auto pistol, rifle, shotgun but they left alone manual actions like levers, pumps, revolvers (one of the reasons I have a solid lever action in my “want to buy” list). Following that release though, I saw several other states (maybe 2 more?) use a very similar definition in submitted bills so I am pretty confident those are coming from a common source such as Everytown or Giffords. All of this was pre-COVID.

This is the link to the pre-filed version, it eventually got slightly watered down before being kicked to committee for review and ultimately dropped. Search the text for “Assault firearm” means: to find the definition, it’s about 70-80% down the page. The submitter of this bill said he wouldn’t re-introduce for 2021 (probably because he became a meme and was roundly mocked on social media for the video of his describing assault weapons at a town hall), but the Governor still wants an AWB so someone else may take up the mantle.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB961

1 Like

Is purchasing an AR or any type of firearm capable of exceeding 10 round mags pointless now? Why are people rushing to stockpile all of these firearms that are going to be banned in the near future anyway?

In most of the proposed legislation, there is a “grandfather clause”. That means that if you have it already, you can keep it. They just ban the future sale or transfer (you can’t hand it down to your kids for example) of those items.

You can’t bank on any legislation having a grandfather clause 100% as Biden (and others) are pushing for buybacks which means you would have to give them up to the government (or register as NFA per Biden’s plan).

If you buy one now, you are hedging your bet that a) they won’t pass the bill b) if it passes there is a grandfather clause c) if it passes there will be some mechanism (NFA) for you to keep it. If you buy today you get to use that firearm until they pass a bill banning it. That may be as soon as Jan 21st, or maybe it never passes.

And of course, some folks just won’t comply…

1 Like

Good question,I wondered the same but it appears “near future” could take a bit. IMO,stock piling is being made easier for accessories because im seeing cheaper prices for accessories and manufacturers might be thinking " we batter make our money now".

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be an issue here:
H.R.125 - 117th Congress(2021-2022): To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide for a 7-day waiting period before a semiautomatic firearm, a silencer, armor piercing ammunition, or a large capacity ammunition magazine may be…
However they are still firearms, so they’ve got you nailed here:
H.R.127 — 117th Congress(2021-2022)
To provide for the licensing of firearm and ammunition possession and the registration of firearms, and to prohibit the possession of certain ammunition

1 Like

yeah,but no mention of “revolver”. In the gun control proposal it mentions all other firearms specifically. I just cant see anything that leads to revolvers.

1 Like

Like you said, probably because you can’t get them in high capacity. If all these acts go through everyone will be carrying like the old west with six shooters.