AR Or Shotgun for home defense

I just recently got my can out of jail and ran through my self-defense 300 blackout rounds. Everything ran flawlessly and that will replace my Beretta 1301 for home defense. The AR is just so much more manageable and overall I’m much more comfortable and proficient in using a rifle. I have the Primary Arms 1x Prism scope, so in-case the batteries die I have the etched reticle.

5 Likes

How are you liking the prism? Does it have a fairly forgiving eye box or do you need to get a good cheek weld to see through it? I have astigmatism that turns my red dots into red stars so was thinking of giving the PA a try when funds allow.

Congrats on the jail break!

3 Likes

I like the optic. I think this would work well for you. The brightness levels are good but dont shimmer like an RDS might. The highest two levels do a little but theyre more for bright daylight which you have the etched reticle for and can turn off all brightness. The in-between brightness levels are fine for most cases and dont washout with a weapon light.

Eye relief is good. I mounted it pretty far forward and just played with the diopter. It seems like my Trijicon MRO is a little faster but Im splitting hairs. Its plenty fast. Plus you can mount it at 1.92 or even 2.2" high which is awesome. You dont have to worry about cowitnessing irons because you have the etched reticle as a backup.

The shake awake is a nice touch.

3 Likes

No mention of the M1 Carbine or Thompson M1?? :grimacing:

Actually, my house is pretty chopped up inside. With the exception of one hallway, there’s no long distances before hitting a wall. So I prefer a handgun because of maneuverability and it’s already on my person or next to my bed. And any “bad guy” situation would be a pretty close encounter in my house. I would also try to avoid shooting anyone who broke into my house unless it was absolutely necessary. So most likely, after identifying a threat, I’d try to find cover/concealment in whatever room I was in at the time, giving verbal commands about being armed, the police are on their way, etc. So what distance would any encounter be, 12-15 ft? I’m pretty confident I’d be just as precise with my handgun at that distance as I would be with an AR. So I never went down that road of investigating ammo choices for the AR platform for home defense, ensuring all rounds remain in the bad guy. I’d choose an AR over a shotgun. But my plan has always been handgun inside the home.

1 Like

Like the M1, lightweight and modern upgrades available…

1 Like

To make it more confusing now you can get AR shotguns.

5 Likes

How about both?

3 Likes

Yooooo. What is that second joint?

1 Like

??? I don’t even see a 1st joint. Lol

2 Likes

For everyone - If you are going to shoot any 9mm or Especially an AR in your house.
You are going to “NEED” Earmuffs.
Without them - It Takes about 10 minutes before you can Hear “Anything” again. So cannot talk to 911, etc.
How do I know ?? :slight_smile: I keep a set of electronic muffs by my gun now and Gun-Mounted Light.

2 Likes

It depends. Individual, gun/round/barrel length in question, type of roof, number of shots, etc.

The vast, vast majority (virtually all) of self defense gun uses do not involve any hearing protection. Many of these people have still talked to 911, responding officers, etc, afterwards.

I’m sure it’s harder than if ears had been protected though lol. Suppressors are a valid option for many as well (state laws depending)

And yes, I know.

1 Like

I have electronic muffs in our safe area and next to the quick access pistol safe by the bed. But if I am alerted to a threat I just grab my pistol and light and move to gather and cover my family into the safe area. The muffs go on after that if I feel I have the time.

Auditory exclusion appears to happen often in stress filled self defense situations making it so people don’t even notice the sound of the shots. Though it’s not guaranteed and may not protect you from long term hearing damage even if it does occur. So I agree muffs are a great Idea if you have the time. Especially good electric muffs that can enhance your hearing. But every second counts in a home invasion so putting mine on are low on my priority list.

Ideally sound suppressors would be more affordable and easier to obtain. On a braced pistol or SBR they would make for an excellent home defense tool.

3 Likes

Ever touch off a 12 ga or a short barreled AR inside a small room? MUCH worse. But google auditory exclusion and tunnel vision. They are real.

3 Likes

Shotgun I didnt feel as bad at a small indoor range but a 10.5" AR in a small indoor range even with ear pro sucks pretty bad.

2 Likes

Yeah…in my personal opinion shorter barrels on 5.56 really ought to only be used with a suppressor lol

1 Like

I won’t shoot my 5.56 7.5” AR SBR in an indoor range because I try to be conscientious of others. It is a beast even outdoors.

6 Likes

AR shotguns! AR 12 with a 20rd drum is awesome! I love mine. Light, easy for my wife to handle and very “visually protective” of the one holding it.

2 Likes

I prefer a shotgun because I find a shotgun easier to operate and maintain.
Being responsible for an arms room with 200 M-16s and 3 M-60s in my old Army Reserve outfit,
I found myself developing an allergy to aluminum, plastic, and government issue C-L-A, an allergy which
became more profound after I got out and ended up driving around with a scoped AR-15 Match in the trunk of my car for a year as a Special Constable with the Sherriff’s Office.

YMMV of course. What works for you, well, works for you.

1 Like
1 Like

If you use an NFA item in a shooting the state and the feds may choose to prosecute you.