AR Contest: What are the Must-Have Upgrades for Your AR?

We’ve had a bunch of conversations about ARs in the Community. You all have encouraged me to build my own AR - and I did it! Now it’s our turn to encourage you to build your very own AR!

We’re giving away a $1500 Palmetto State Armory Gift Card to help one lucky person build (or buy) an AR! Vote each day this week on the related AR topics to be entered for your chance to win (one vote per topic)!

What are the must-have upgrades for your AR?

• Grips
  • Sights
  • Muzzle break
  • Trigger
  • Other please share below

0 voters

Be sure to share more your opinion below and check out other AR conversations already started in the Community!

Your vote above constitutes one entry for your chance to win the $1,500 Palmetto State Armory Gift Card AR giveaway. The votes from all five AR Polls will be entered into the drawing for the $1,500 Palmetto State Armory Gift Card! The online entry period ends on 4/6/20. Drawing to take place on 4/13/20. Please see official rules for details.

1 Like

I used to have 20-10 vision both eyes but now it’s 20-10 right eye and 20-20 left, so I need some help in the ranged department.

2 Likes

Big, big fan of my Sig Romeo 5 red dot sight. It makes aiming a two-eyes open operation, also enhancing situational awareness. I am also very fond of my mounted weapon light. 900 lumens combined with a red dot is a formidable self defense platform.

3 Likes

I went with sights, primarily optics. Astigmatism is a real problem and i have that in excess.

2 Likes

I also voted sights. I read that as optics in general. Scope, red dot

2 Likes

If you can’t hit what you’re aiming at none of the other upgrades are gonna do any good.

Everyone’s needs or wants are gonna vary so what kind of sight/optic is a completely different topic.
(One worth having eventually)

3 Likes

Sights definitely. If you can’t see it, you can’t hit it.

2 Likes

Sights are a must have in my opinion. Along with that, a good high quality barrel and bolt carrier group are essential upgrades for any AR platform.

2 Likes

Sights, good quality us a must in this department.

2 Likes

Sights. Even a bad trigger you can work around.

2 Likes

With out any hesitation it is sights. Good straight irons or a mounted optic that is accurate. I went with Troy flip up front and rear battle sights, paired with a Trijicon MRO. I have a friend who uses MBUS front and rear and they also shoot straight. I said the latter because I thought it fair to mention that those poly sights work well and shoot straight on his rig. His optic is a Sig Romeo that works flawlessly. Sight picture a bit small for me but it works for him and that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

100% sights. Irons, red dots, prisms, scopes, or any combination :smiley:

One of the reasons for the AR’s extreme popularity is the ability to be used in so many different roles. Want a simple, no-frills, lightweight build? Go for some high quality iron sights. Want to reach out and touch at 1000 yards? get a high-powered scope. Red dots, prism scopes, and Low Power Variable Optics (LPVO like a 1-4 or 1-8) fill everything in the middle.

2 Likes

Be sure to vote in the initial post to be entered for your chance to win!

Poll closes in less than 24 hours!

I am still new enough that I could be missing all the important stuff, but here is how I feel.

Sights are the most important thing to get right. They help you hit the target and not your family.

Grips are nice, I suppose. I want to swap out mine for an ergonomic one. I can use the rectangular stick that came on mine though.

I don’t know why people would want to swap out a trigger unless theirs doesn’t work. It seems to me that you learn your trigger and just use it. Some people really care though, so I’m sure I’m just missing something.

Muzzle breaks seem like they could be important. They sure helped out Sherman crews during the war. This would be my second choice.

And of course, every rifle needs a grenade launcher. They serve no practical purpose, but I’m sure I need one anyway. Ooh. And a Velociraptor bayonet. And a Narwhal tusk attachment. And Batman Light! And a second AR attached to it so you can shoot your gun while you shoot your gun!

1 Like

Pish posh. I’ll take the kill saw attachment thank you.

Some type of optic/sight and light, depending on intended use of rifle.

To me, the question should be–after your sights are upgraded, what is the next most important upgrade?
For me, it’s the trigger. This was the most dramatic difference I’ve experienced shooting my ARs (switching to a good trigger).

2 Likes

Never have had problems with sights. Yes, I have put scopes on my hunting rifles. However, trigger upgrades have always improved my accuracy. A great trigger can limit the physical factors and makes squeezing the trigger more of a mental decision.

1 Like

Well you’re not going to hit your target very well if you don’t have sights to aim at it. No Rambos shooting from the hip.