Appreciate Our Police - Need some ideas

I need some ideas for just plain nice things to do for local Officers. I have a couple of things now, but I think more could be done. I’m not really talking about massive initiatives, just tokens of gratitude. And I know a lot would depend on what you can afford to spend.

Current Projects:

• Stuffed (NOT the Taxidermy kind) animals and other things to give to Officers for them to give out to children as they see fit.
  • Gift cards to restaurants in amounts that I KNOW will cover at least one healthy appetite sized meal.
  • Gift cards to a local range covering enough for at least 30 minutes and a box of ammo.
  • Pay the tab for them when you are in a restaurant and see them there
  • Care Packages (Purell, lip balm, tissues, energy drinks, Nitrile gloves, snacks, etc.)
2 Likes

Gift certificates to Chewy.com for the K-9 teams.
(really want to avoid real food, treats, or play toys directly from the public; rather allow the Officer to choose for his canine teammate.)

1 Like

I do not believe most if not all departments, police departments included can or will or at liberty to accept any gifts including gift cards of any description. Whenever I see a police officer or a fire man or woman for example if I see them in the grocery store, they often times go to the store to buy their lunch or at their break (both the fire and police departments are down the road from the store. Well; anyway back to the story, I go out of my way to express my gratitude to them in the store. For some reason I usually see them in the produce section of my store. But no matter I always express my feelings of gratitude to all of them.

2 Likes

I’ve been known to wait in line for a couple extra people so I can pay for an officer’s coffee. At one point, I cut a line when an officer was ordering and paid for his coffee and went back to my place at the back of the line.

I think it’s the little things and the constant support. Even kind conversations about their firearm or the local sports team - something that gives them common, comfortable ground with you so they know you understand they’re a person just like you are.

4 Likes

I’ve paid for their coffee/snacks at the convenience store from time to time. Art the least I engage them in a brief, friendly conversation about non-LE topics.

Whenever I see a LEO while driving I give them a friendly wave. Once I did that and we both ended up pulling into the same gas station a minute later. The officer came over and asked why I waved, did I need anything? I told him that I always wave to LE just to let them know that there are still people out here who are glad to see them rather than getting scared or angry.I

They seem to appreciate it.

2 Likes

I had a T-shirt made up that says “Blue Lives Matter” that I wear. I’ve also taken VEGGY TRAYS to my local police station to show how much I APPRECIATE them. I also thank every police office or firefighter that I see as well for their service. A few years ago they asked people to paint a THIN BLUE LINE on the curb in front of their homes so that when police drove by that they’d know that they had backing from the household. And i did paint one in front of my house.

Blue%20Lives%20Matter1

2 Likes

I have seen a very similar shirt such as this one displayed and for sale in Amazon.com
I think it’s phenomenal and kind of a thumb in the eye to haters
Horray!! For Police :policewoman:. And all first responders. I had a lady police officer in June she came to take a report here in my kitchen saw my Concealed Carry Magazine on the table she was not alarmed in the least. Apparently she already knew that I had a license even before she arrived because she asked me about it. I told her it was in the bedroom in a holster on the desk.
I said if anyone was to break in now they’re going to get an a** full of lead and she thought I was funny.
But yes I love your nice T-shirt sir :+1::+1:

2 Likes

@Robert8 regards gifts/gift cards … try working Management down. In my case I may only be able to afford one gift card a month, after 12 months, I have 12. That can support a number of teams and doesn’t force an Officer to feel he’s getting something which would complicate his position or earn the ire of the canine squad mates.

2 Likes

I should have stated in the original post that I purchase the multiples of the items and do exactly that. Take them to the station and give them to management to deal with as they deem fit.

Whenever my wife and I go to restaurants we look around for First Responders or Military (either alone or in groups) to pay for and if there aren’t any we try to figure out who else we may be able to anonymously give a smile. And we cover the tip also.

I did that with a group of military guys at a Red Robins one day. There were four guys. Their conversation wasn’t loud, but I could tell they were all freshly home from serving overseas. I asked the waiter to give me their bill and not tell them about it. We finished long before they did, so I paid their bill including a good tip. The waiter wanted to tell them and I asked him not to say anything until I left. I didn’t want anything from them - I was happy that they were enjoying their meal safely at home in the States.

5 Likes

Thank You Dawn I know they appreciate your patriotism. I really cannot say enough good about the USCCA. The other similar but less equal organizations don’t come anywhere close to the USCCA. I checked them out a few years ago, there’s no comparison.

1 Like

Ironically a few miles straight East of our condominium in a suburb called Hinsdale, IL their is a Pet Cemetery. Dogs, Cats, everything. The only qualifier is no humans. There are many K9 Police Dogs buried there from many suburbs and also Chicago. I understand some of the burials get the entire show including Chicago PD Drum and Bagpipe Corp. anyway just an interesting tidbit today for our group.

2 Likes

One thing you can do, and it works for us veterans to because they make cards for first responders and vets like this. Go to dearamericanhero.com

2 Likes

Donations of GarmaGuard are going to be appreciated by all departments, police, EMS and certain security personnel use that stuff by the truck load.

1 Like

@Spence You know, that is just Brilliant. And a complete boot to the head enlightenment! THX!
(I’ve always got the opportunity to change clothes from a go bag or just get home and change - but when your shift doesn’t end for 11 hours - you really need something!)

2 Likes