Any cross-eye dominant people in the Community?

I have the exact same issue. And I also decided early on in my shooting training to make the switch to shoot left handed pistol and rifle.

1 Like

@Stephen_M_Bassett As poorly as I shoot, I confess, I must be crossed-eyes dominant. May have been dropped on my head as a baby…

Good question and liked you briefing. Left-eyed dominant here but practice with both hands and both eyes open, dominant eye open with right closed, and right eye open with dominant closed.

1 Like

Add me to your cross-eye dominate list. No problem with a hand gun and I shoot a long gun left handed because I learned I was more accurate that way many years ago, before I knew eye dominance existed.

2 Likes

Eye dominance is the tendency to prefer one eye to the other one. Usually if you are right-handed, you will be right-eye dominant. However, it doesn’t always work this way. Both brain hemispheres control both eyes, but one will always take charge. Dominance appears to change depending on direction of gaze due to image size changes on the retinas, and there are also some cases caused by myopia, amblyopia and sometimes even migraine sufferers, although most research would suggest that eye dominance is due to the dominant eye being challenged more.
An eye dominance test is to stretch your arms out in front of you and form a triangular-shaped hole with your fingers. Look through this hole at an object about 10 to 15 feet away, keeping both eyes open. Without moving, close one eye, then the other. The object should appear to move, possibly out of the triangular window, when you close one of your eyes. If it moves, then you are looking through your nondominant eye.
Aiming is a fine motor skill. Lucky shooters who are right-eye dominant and right-handed (or left-eye dominant and left-handed) actually have the option of keeping both eyes open during shooting. Not only does this enable more light to be ‘let in’, If you have double the visual information being fed into the brain to help reaction and aiming, and the dominant eye will always take over so your aim will be led with that eye.

Now unlucky shooters who prefer to shoot right-handed and who are left-eye dominant (or vice versa) do not have this option. They either have to opt to change to be the “wrong handedness” or close their dominant eye.

Choosing the latter can often be a hindrance as your facial muscles have to work harder to keep the dominant eye closed during your shot. I myself have shot many years with my left eye closed, but this can often start opening mid-shot and I have to remind myself to force the eye shut. As you might imagine, this isn’t very useful in a sport reliant on aim! So, what handy things have been used by shooters to ensure this doesn’t happen?
many Shooters may opt for an eye patch or cover, as opposed to closing the eye, is that you can train yourself to have both eyes open, thus having the same benefits of letting more light in but being able to focus with the weaker eye. I hope this helps, it did for me!

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot pistols left handed but rifles right handed. I actually have no issues keeping both eyes open.

For pistols I just have to tilt my head slightly so my dominant eye lines up better with the sights. With just a little practice it is an automatic move that does not slow me down at all.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar boat to @Shamrock , just reverse sides. But, my technique is the same. I slightly turn my head to being my dominant eye in line with my handgun. Both eyes open, modified weaver stance. Long guns, I just use my non dominant eye.

1 Like

He is.

2 Likes