Any cross-eye dominant people in the Community?

Welcome to the group @Dsstrpc!

1 Like

Interesting situation that has come up trainining some red haired family members and friends,they are all cross eye dominant 6 in all,anyone else see a pattern in people you train?

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Paul4, I missed your post at the time, so ā€¦ belatedlyā€¦ welcome to the group!

thatā€™s a pretty interesting statistic, Iā€™ll watch for it :smiley:
Weā€™ve got a couple reds on hereā€¦ @Nathan for one. My great granddaughter is one too, but itā€™s too early to tell, sheā€™s just 6.

Yes, I am left eye dominant right handed not a big issue with a hand gun I just cheat the pistol,to the left a little for clear sight picture. Had to teach my self to shoot rifle lefty am used to it now and accuracy is pretty good as well.

2 Likes

Yes, I am a redhead and cross-eye dominant. Early on, I simply learned to shoot as a southpaw even though I am right-handed. I actually need to work on shooting a rifle as a righty for defensive drills now haha!

2 Likes

I am most definitely cross-dominant. When I was younger I simply could not understand why my shot placements were so far off. When I finally learned about cross-eye dominance and that I was a member of that particular segment of people, I was not very happy. I was, however, relieved to finally understand a little about why my shots were so far off from where I thought I was aiming.

Fast forward about forty years and many thousands of rounds downrange, along with a batter understanding of what works best for me, and I can honestly say that I no longer view being Cross-dominant as a handicap or weakness. I now own my own firearms training business, and in almost every class there is at least one student who, knowing or not, suffers from the same thing. Once we work together for a while and Iā€™ve had an opportunity to introduce them on how to make adjustments, most pick up on the instruction quickly and show a marked improvement. Usually nothing more than a couple of minor tweaks and the student will gain a new found confidence that can only come from seeing positive results. It certainly doesnā€™t hurt for them to know, from the beginning of the training process, that the instructor has the same ā€œafflictionā€ they have.

3 Likes

Zee I find myself contending with what you described. Sometimes I get great focus with my left eye - right handed shooter - but other times the right eye works fine. Its strange how the dominant eye can seem to switch around on me. Most of my training is < 15 ft since I work most on tactical close quarter, which is alot of point and shoot without sights.

1 Like

When I took my first instructor cert course about 2004 the teacher said ā€œyou wont run into it a lotā€ā€¦ and then in my first class 5 out of 6 students were cross-dominant. :woman_facepalming:

Are you USCCA certified? Let me know if you are and @Dawn can update your profile.

^^^ yes :smiley:

1 Like

Its pretty annoying :unamused:
Iā€™m finding that several things helpā€¦ having a larger brighter front sight helps. Having a taller wider rear blade helps because it makes me look for the front sight. Red dot optics help a LOT because I cant see the dot from the left eye at all. Even with the red dot off, the hoop of the optic interferes with the left eye acquisition and I get 100% right eye.

And kinesthetic alignment helps, and i train for that a lot.

Been accused of a lot of things but being Cross-Eyed, this is the 1st time, my dad got me my 1st ShotGun when I was like 5yrs old it was a .410 single shot so I didnā€™t think anything was weird until I was like 15yrs old when I started deer hunting and I got me a sweet bolt action rifle which was of course right handed and I couldnā€™t figure out why my rifle was so difficult to shoot because I had to eject the shot cartridge then change hands to reload then change hands and shoot again of course whatever I was shooting at was gone, nevertheless it made me a lot better shot because I seldom got off but 1st shot. This brings back funny memoriesā€¦

2 Likes

But it has made it, for me at least, much easier for training since Iā€™m right eyed dominant but I actually learned to shoot at such an early age with my left eye now either eye just seems natural. I guess Iā€™m just weird??

2 Likes

I am right handed left eye dominant. A lot because of retinal surgery many years ago on my right eye. Clear sight picture in my left eye with a top focal pair of shooting glasses. I do still shoot rifle using my right eye. I use a good pair of prescription shooting glasses made for distance to see a sight picture . Also use reddot sights

2 Likes

Cross-eye dominant hereā€¦ shoots righty, looks lefty :wink:

As I shoot with both eyes open, itā€™s not a problem, per se. LOTS of videos on YouTube on this subject. Iā€™ve also used some of the techniques taught by Chris Sanjog. The focus string really works!

2 Likes

@Daren i also got a .410 single shot around the same age, growing up i used to lean my head over the stock of the rifle-shotgun in order to use my dominant eye, of course once my head got too big i could no longer do this and it took a while to get used to using my non dominant eye.

3 Likes

One thing that typically helps all or most cross-eye dominant shooters is this easy and simple-to-do trick. If you are a righty, while aiming, simply rest the right side of your cheek against the inside of your right bicep. With your right eye either shut (or open) and while looking straight down the length of your right arm, you should notice a significantly better sight picture and alignment. If you are left-handed, just reverse the procedure to the opposite side.

Those of you who are familiar with the You Tube and Patreon personality Hickok 45, may have noticed that he shoots primarily right-handed, and when he does he grips the pistol or revolver in the manner I just mentioned. Now, I donā€™t know if he is cross-eye dominant or not (I suspect he might be) but he shoots pretty good using that particular method. Check out one of his videos and you will see what Iā€™m talking about. Happy shooting and stay safe, everyone!

2 Likes

I am cross eye dominate, and never figured that until I started to shoot and train defensively. A little info, I played some pro baseball, in the farm leagues, but my batting average was not the best. Amazing that my coaches never figured out my eye dominance. . I am left handed, bat right handed, shoot left handed, shoot long gun left handed with a right handed gun, and throw right handed. Since I wear contacts, one eye is corrected for distance and the other is corrected for reading. I am built weird. Training and more training. Robert, above post, his suggestion is good, and we use the same technique. As a left instructor, I have learned to teach and shoot right handed, as most people are right handed. But I practice, draw, and shoot as a lefty.

1 Like

Hereā€™s another blog on shooting cross-eye dominant:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/cross-dominant-shooter/

3 Likes

WHAT! 80% Cross Eye Dom! What the heck is going on here! :astonished:

1 Like