Angry exchange shows gun being pulled on mom, teen

Only used to differentiate the various parties in the incident. That was easier than the linguistic hurdles that otherwise would be needed to discuss this particular incident. If you would like, I can go back and edit as you suggest, my points would still remain the same, even if the races were reversed.

1 Like

Ill play devils advocate for this one…the legal system already uses a pre determined spin on emotion in my mind as an example I would use this. A prosecutor may say that someone used an excessive fire say 8 rounds to neutralize a threat when it could have been achieved with 4 rounds. They may argue that the defendant had a retaliatory mindset or in other words did not operate on logic but emotional payback. What would you say to this (disclaimer I’m not advocating a retaliatory mindset

2 Likes

I get it. I’m guilty at times as well.
But I know some words or descriptions will trigger emotion that prevents me from understand and just makes me want to ‘return fire’, figuratively speaking

Written word doesnt convey intended emotion (or lack of) well, but can easily trigger emotions inside us based upon our own personal experiences. I’ve never been raped so when I read the word I can stay completely objective, someone else may re-live a horrible experience simply by reading the word.

4 Likes

Personally I think the intention of prosecutor is to play on the emotional elements. Let’s face it at some point facts are the facts but the emotional element allows for prosecutorial wiggle room. That’s why I like these blogs…have the sometimes heated and potential what if before your actually in a situation where you will ultimately loose control of the aftermath

4 Likes

@Randyb
I would say that you are right and that I can even prove the point further (if I understand your point correctly). It doesn’t surprise me because: it is the prosecuting attorney’s job to seek a conviction using the tools of the trade. Painting the picture that he wants the judge, or jury, to see is only one of these tools.

Underlying this is the fact that we are still all supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.

5 Likes
4 Likes

It’s my understanding the couple had two children in the back seat of the vehicle. They were attempting to de-escalate, and then to leave, but the people they were arguing with did not make it easy for them to leave.

3 Likes

Also, from what I understand based on a thread from a different forum, the white woman and the black woman’s daughter were trying to come through the door of the business at the same time – one coming, one going – and there was some bumping involved, which somehow escalated into the argument where the video picks up. Seems like some common courtesy from both parties could have prevented this whole incident.

4 Likes

I’m shocked they keep screaming for the very people they just defunded. Good luck with that.
Girl w/gun definitely tried to deescalate and got in the cover of her van.
She had great trigger control and an awesome stance.
Have to admit that deadly force was not authorized, I do understand why she jumped out of the van. That was emotional. She was cool from inside the vehicle, her tone was soft spoken over the screaming lunatics.
This is where we are. There is no conversation when you are accosted , violently.

4 Likes

What happened to “excuse me”, or “sorry”? There is a total lack of decency. So it’s come down to, if you look at me wrong, it’s racist? In that case, “I wear my sunglasses at night…”

4 Likes

This is the video. It starts at some point after the bump in the doorway of Chipotle. There are a few things that I find noteworthy. First, the video starts with the videographer and the mother between the woman and her car. Second, and this is the most important question for me, why is the mother behind the vehicle? Third, the mother hits the vehicle because they were going to hit her.

If the incident started as the family was entering and the couple was leaving, why does the mother need to go back to the parking lot once the incident is over? My logic says she was going back there to block the vehicle to continue yelling at the couple and demand an apology or continue to dare them to call the police.

My QUESTION is:

Do you think that the couple will be convicted of the felonies (assault with a deadly weapon) they are being charged with?

4 Likes

Not if I was on the jury.

7 Likes

Exactly, I had a FORMER friend of mine say he would have “put a bullet in that *****'s brain for drawing on me.” I replied, “after you chased a woman out to her car, blocked her from entering her car, blocked her from leaving and then hitting her car once she was in it, you would have killed her because she had the audacity to think you may be threatening, and drawn a gun you?”

Then blocked him.

6 Likes

I don’t think the felony charges will stick. It is hard to say what will happen and whether a “reasonable person” would have feared for their life based on the circumstances.
It is very difficult right now because everyone is on edge and hyper-vigilant.
I spoke to 2 different people yesterday about police/public encounters. The police officer said that everyone in an enemy until proven otherwise where, in the past, the opposite was usually true. A civilian said no police can be trusted because they are all complicit in the crimes being done by the bad ones.
We are at a critical stage right now where law enforcement and the public consider each other the enemy. I was told by one police officer who recently resigned that she saw 13 other bags on the floor when she went to drop off her equipment bag. That means at least 14 officers left on that one day.
The saddest part of this dilemma, it also extends to all people. Unless i know you, I must presume you are the enemy and will act accordingly. Everyone is at condition RED and that is a dangerous place to be.

9 Likes

Comments from another thread about this topic were moved here. ~Dawn

1 Like

Interesting… I wonder if the couple used less-than-lethal means to stop the aggressive pursuit, OC to the face, or shocker - would that be even considered assault, in your opinion? I am trying to understand the role of firearm component here.

Good heavens… There is a part of the public that definitely has that sentiment, along with hate to Washington, Jefferson, victims of Armenian genocide, and more recently, Frederick Douglass. What % of the general public is it though, how deeply are we in trouble…

7 Likes

Deep enough that people are quick to draw. You realize if we don’t fix things, this will only get deeper. Meaning at some point bullets will fly. So far we’ve seen restraint.
Someone said we are already in condition “red”. That’s like defcon 1. And it’s not just our nation, my fear is other nations may look at this as an opportunity. I know Sun Tzu thinks this is a classic opportunity. We can expect these types of activities to continue until November.
Because of my age and health, I have reduced my interactions with the public. This is no way to live. I really don’t want to harm anyone.

4 Likes

This is very easy to respond to, as i DO NOT have or claim to have anything other than common sense, i’m sorry if my simple comments on the matter have made you feel inferior in any way sir.

1 Like

I did not state that your simplistic views make anyone inferior. However, I also, again, see where you are still unwilling to have a discussion. You claim to have been in “their shoes”, but do not explain the circumstances and how you averted conflict - the same circumstances you claim to have been in. As we want to learn good defensive techniques, and how to avoid conflict, please, again, detail your experience(s) and how you resolved it, so we can learn from your experience.

It is easy for you to “condemn”, and avoid conflict in a supposedly similar encounter, than it is for you to provide how your situation was similar and how you were able to avoid conflict. Since we are here to learn, please, again, explain how you were successful in conflict avoidance after your vehicle was blocked from egress without resorting to using any defensive tools to facilitate your de-escalation and being able leave the scene.

4 Likes

you can simply refer to my last comment for an example of how handle a situation where the other party is confrontational.

1 Like