Anecdotes From The '67 Monterey Pop Festival

This particular event for its time is considered to be a really historical landmark event in rock music - Janice Joplin and Jimi Hendrix were two of the performers who made their debuts. Watch the videos if you can. After Janice Joplin finished her set, Cass Elliot was smiling, stunned and speechless at what she’d heard. Pete Townshend was sitting next to Eric Clapton when Hendrix performed - after he was finished, the story goes that Townshend - who once said he’d never have picked up a guitar except for Link Wray - turned to look at Clapton and said, “I think we’re out of a job.”.

3 Likes

Speaking of the Who, I saw a double feature at the theater about 42 years ago, “Rust never sleeps” with Neil Young and Crazy Horse, which was pretty much what I expected, followed by “the kids are alright” which started off with the performance where Keith Moon got the roadies to put way more explosive material in his bass drum than recommended (recommended??:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), and when it went off, Pete got blown off the stage and became deaf in one ear…Smothers Brothers, one came out through the smoke with an acoustic guitar or ukelele, and Keith smashed it to bits…one great movie of 4 totally different personalities who meshed quite well, as entertainers and musicians anyway.
I watch whatever Jimi Hendrix footage I can find. Unbelievable performer. Reminds me of Les Claypool and Primus, where you have an incredible talent, and band mates who manage to keep up.

2 Likes

A story about Keith Moon goes that he drank a bottle of Scotch a day, and his doctor told him that if he didn’t stop, it would kill him. He asked the doctor if there was something he could drink that would be better for him, and the doctor recommended brandy - after his visit, Moon started to drink a bottle of brandy a day. “I hope I die before I get old.” is a lyric credited to Moon from “My Generation” - there’s some irony, there.

3 Likes

Oh, the irony is real.

2 Likes

Found it…oh dang, know what I’m doing the next 1:49 or so, after I put in my hearing aid :sunglasses::rofl:

2 Likes

Somewhere lost to history is a jam session between Hendrix, Joplin, and Albert King. To my knowledge, no one has yet found the recording.

3 Likes