And this guy is a cop!

4 Likes

Interesting read. This guy will possibly do time in prison. Liquor and weapons don’t mix. Where in the article does it state he was a cop I believe I missed it.

4 Likes

I’ll agree, he’ll probably get some jail time but nowhere did I read he was a cop.

3 Likes

Do you have to shoot a son to be in real trouble? This is hard to believe.

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying @Joseph424 because the first post did not indicate that.

3 Likes

Ok, now I see where the cop part came in. That will most likely be a termination, as well as criminal charges pending investigation. Costly error for everyone involved. Like they say for pilots , 24 hrs between bottle and throttle.

4 Likes

There is a difference between a drunk cop and a drunk civilian mishandling a firearm. The drunk cop is held to a higher standard because he’s an LEO.

3 Likes

In certain jurisdictions
 Living out East on the Island (Long Island, NY), I know for a fact that is not a true statement there, at least when I lived there. LE, as civilians, should be held to the same standards as the rest of us, but generally - including family members - are given the golden ring. I had a friend that bragged that he never got a traffic ticket that was enforced as his father was a captain, so the tickets would just go away. I did not doubt that as he drove like a maniac and would do my best not to be in a vehicle he was driving.

3 Likes

Truer words were never spoken. I know you saw it like I did. Very much a higher standard and probably rightfully so. However I saw a LEO get 16 years and his co defendants get 6 Mo, not fair justice for the same crime.

3 Likes

Yes. I read it again and noticed that. That’s kind of surprising when you think about it. Normally that would be the first detail the press would want to get out there.

5 Likes

Domestic LE are civilians, really

4 Likes

And another cop in California kills a person while cleaning his gun.

A Bellevue NE cop kills his live-in girl friend.

Police are not the Holy One’s that many people think they are.

3 Likes

He should go directly to jail, don’t pass go, and give back the $200 he got last time, and fined for life going forward. Stupid is as Stupid does. And this was a stupid act committed by an idiot that happened to be on the Sheriff’s payroll, who violated his oath; discredited his profession, his Sheriff, his brothers and sisters-in-arms, the county he swore to serve and protect, his immediate community, his family of whom he has the inherent responsibility to protect and to keep safe, and himself! Good riddance. I really feel bad for the family and for his daughter in particular.

Cleaning a load weapon
give me a break. :hot_face:

5 Likes

A lesson to us all. As the old saying goes,“You can never be too careful”.

Though just one example of error; What about those errors made while sober? The human mind can and does make mistakes, including forgetting certain steps.

What things do you do toward safety with your firearms?

3 Likes

Treat all guns as if they are always loaded, and always perform a clearance check every time you pick it up.

5 Likes

Never point your gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

5 Likes

Keep your finger OFF of the trigger and outside of the trigger guard until you are on target and have made the decision to shoot.

6 Likes

Always be sure of your target and what’s beyond it.

5 Likes