Ammo shortage. Any tips?

Ammo and components restock and affordability timeline just moved back indefinitely.

4 Likes

Anthony, try sgammo.com. They usually have ammo, but may need to check daily since common rounds sell out super fast these days. Their shipping is relatively inexpensive and you get very fast turnaround.

As far as the cost, yes, its a supply and demand issue. Limited supply so they raise prices until demand slows.

Tip for the future - unless we get some crazy gun laws enacted, when prices get back to normal (if they get back) make it a point to purchase some each payday or other convenient time and put it aside in a dry place. Don’t wait until last minute. It seems like when you need guns and ammo the most, that’s when you can’t find them, so keep some put aside just in case. Good luck.

4 Likes

LOL, that’s a nice surprise. I have been storing all of my ammo in those MTM cases lately with the seals instead of the rag tag assortment of ammo cans I had. I’m a collector so have some old guns from WW1 and WW2. I went to heave an old ammo can I thought was empty and it had about 220 rounds of .303 Brit in it. I have one Enfield left so that was a nice surprise also.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Robert568 and god bless you.

1 Like

@Robert568.
Welcome to the family
cobra3 (2)

2 Likes

At the time I write this… SGAmmo has 30+ boxes of 9mm Hornady Critical Duty 135gr in +P and standard pressure, 30+ boxes of Critical Defense 115gr in stock, limit 4 of each. For those of you needing good defensive ammo in 9mm. I don’t expect they will stay in stock very long.

5 Likes

What ammo shortage? I stocked up on components years ago and have kept my supply up for all calibers that I shoot. Maybe that’s because I developed the reloading skills starting in 1966?

3 Likes

I kinda feel like I just did a drug deal…I went to pick up a new handgun from Cabela’s and jokingly told the guy I had a stupid question as I was filling out my paperwork. He was very nice but gave me one if those are you kidding me looks. He simply smiled when I asked if they had any 9mm ammo. He said they had quite a bit this morning but it was gone a little after 9. I frowned and the guy smiled again. He leans in and says but we have some behind the counter for when a person buys a gun. Then he says I can only get you a single box though and would I like one. I thought I had one the loterry. I quickly said absolutely…then he really floored me. Did I want a box of 50 or a box of 500. Yippee I can go tk the range for a day or 2 and not feel guilty about using ammo.

Moral to the story…just keep buying more guns so you can get more ammo.:wink:

8 Likes

I am at what I consider my absolute minimum so I have been practicing with a laser cartridge.

4 Likes

My defensive ammo is as low as I will go. I just got a new hand gun and scored more range ammo.

1 Like

Went to my local today, election scare ate up the ammo… but did score two boxes of 12ga slugs.

1 Like

As of right now SGM has 45

I bought some myself but felt disgusted at the cost.

(They also have some 40 Federal Premium jhp).

2 Likes

This doesn’t help the ammo guys but I just bought 1000 9mm Hornady FMJ bullets from Mid South Shooters Supply. I was just on the site Tues am but found these tonight. You just have too keep searching !

1 Like

The Sig store has defensive 9mm 115g JHP for $1.01 a bullet with a limit of 2000 rounds each month. I know it isn’t the same as range ammo or like the good old day’s prices, but if folks are looking to have something rather than nothing, it’ll do in a pinch.

1 Like

SG Ammo and Lucky Gunner has some 9mm in stock. Not much and not cheap though.

1 Like