AMMO in the offering plate?

I wasn’t sure where to place this, so here we go…

Here in CA ammo is in very short supply. As I work in my store’s Firearm Department, our Preacher told me he was hurting for ammo and asked if we might be getting a shipment anytime soon.
Sadly I told him ammo deliveries were sparse at best, and if we got any at all it was practice rounds.
At this point, let me say that our Preacher, Deacons and more than a few in our congregation have CCWs, and are encouraged to carry at services… That said…
Later when the offering plate (more like a deep soup bowl) was passed, I quietly under a dollar, slipped in a 20 round box of Federal 9mm 135 grain Hydra-Shok JHP I grabbed from mt truck’s BOB.
As I was in my usual isle seat in one of the back rows, when the Deacon took the plate to the next row, I couldn’t see the faces, but the head jerks and occasional laughs said it all.
At the end of the offering the Deacons usually take the plates back to the office. That day the Deacon on my side first stopped to show the Preacher the take. The Preachers eyes went directly to me, and I did the best imitation of the look-away my Lab gives me when I’ve walked in on his fill in the blank party.
I don’t know if it was already planned, but the closing sermon was how sometimes God answers prayers in strange ways. Needless to say at the post service get together the discussion was who put the ammo in the plate, and if ammo was an appropriate offering. Some saw it as grandstanding where others clearly wished they’d thought of it first.

So what do you think? Was it appropriate to both praise God and pass the ammo at the same time?

Just one last thing… The Church Secretary said that aside from the ammo, that offering was the biggest they had in months. So did I inspire more than Shok (pun intended)? Only the Lord knows.

16 Likes

I say totally appropriate. Sounds like your Preacher has a good sense of humor.

2 Likes

Perfectly acceptable and in the ‘why didn’t I think of that’ category…

Rattle snakes and purple kool aid… not so much…

1 Like

2 Corinthians 9:6-8

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2 Likes

:+1:t3::+1:t3:

Was the dollar supposed to pay for the hideous ammo background check fee?

3 Likes

[Luk 6:38 KJV](bLuk 6:38) Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

2 Likes

Exactly! I was wondering if anyone would pick that up.
BTW… CA has an ammo private party transfer just for such gifting. Also, the ammo is considered used even if it’s in a sealed factory container.

1 Like

I think it’s awesome. What a great moment. Well done sir. God bless you guys.

1 Like

Beautiful!
My brain says that may not have been appropriate.
My protectors and pro 2A heart :heart: says that was an offering of love.
So, only you and God can truly say.
But, you gave something that cost you money and is in short supply! Reminds me of the window giving her Penny’s! :grin: