Alternative to PowerPoint for presentations?

This is for USCCA instructors and USCCA to answer primarily. Ignore or delete if not appropriate.

For those of us who give the CCHDF cirriculum to students in class without PowerPoint, is there a possibility the USCCA can develop those slide shows in Open Office Impress? It seems silly to limit the content to just one platform, especially when there’s folks who don’t have PowerPoint.

If anyone is using another presentation software that adequately renders USCCA slide shows/presentations, please chime in with what you’ve used. Thank you!

2 Likes

@Jason122 hope you are doing well. Just my opinion, but maybe you can download and install LibreOffice or OpenOffice. They are open source software so it’s free for install them. And they are directly compatible with Microsoft Office, so you can open Power Point files directly. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

4 Likes

I have used LibreOffice and OpenOffice a number of times over the years. In the most recent versions, I have found few - if any - problems with PowerPoint files.

4 Likes

I prefer the options in MS Office software, but Google Slides is free and should convert many PowerPoint presentations. There should be other software that can convert as well (According to OpenOffice.org, it should convert, too). Like any software (even different generations), it is important to check to see what converts properly and modify according to your needs.

Additionally, according to Open Office.org, you might see if someone with Power Point could save the file as an odp, which might be more easily converted.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

3 Likes

@Scotty you are right Google docs has compatibility also. I have used Libre and Open Office suites and they both allow you to choose if you want to save the slide show as a Microsoft file format or their own native file formats. No need for conversions of any type. There are plenty of option out there.

2 Likes

FYI - There is a private group here for USCCA Instructors. If you’re an instructor be sure to let me know and I’ll add you to the group!

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful replies! I should probably clear something up though. I am plenty familiar with Open Office and have used it for years alongside MS Office. I also run a computer support company and am very well versed in which options are out there, like Google Slides, Apache Open Office, Prezi, etc. My question was mostly steered towards getting the CCHDF slides, with their interactive widgets, embedded video, etc. to WORK in alternative softwares other than PowerPoint because they do not in fact work elsewhere, specifically in Open Office.

I see there’s an Instructor portal where I can ask this question. It’s really and likely only answerable by USCCA staff or developers. I was hoping some USCCA members here might have had such experience with MS PPT presentations getting USCCA slides to work elsewhere as there are folks without MS PPT, and I plan to go MS free myself soon.

Thanks again folks, I’ll migrate my questions towards USCCA’s instructor area. Thanks and carry on with your learning and training! THe USCCA product and protection is critical in these biblical times folks!

2 Likes

Yes please, thanks Dawn!

2 Likes