Almost got robbed. Lessons learned

Clarification. Ruger LCP2 in a pocket holster.

2 Likes

Your story was very good. Situational awareness is so important. When in a life or death situation, please remember, lethal force is lethal force to protect your life. When you are in fear for your life or that of someone else, the weapon could be your car, your firearm, or something else. Be ready to respond with whichever weapon will be available. It may be a better option to hit someone with a car, and not stop, get out with a gun and shoot.

4 Likes

In 1976 I moved into the Detroit metro area after taking a new job. My work kept me in a car visiting Supermarkets in the area. Not long after I started a rep with a wholesaler I dealt with got kidnapped at a traffic light on 8 Mile road in broad daylight. The BG slipped into his passenger seat and put a knife to his throat and said " drive where I tell you". My friend had a gun, but could not attempt to reach for it for obvious reasons. He was taken to an abandoned house deep in the ghetto. He was tied to a chair in the basement after being robbed and slapped around. After a few hours of no noise upstairs he slipped out and headed for the nearest pay phone. He said his biggest mistake was pulling up on the bumper of the car ahead of him at that traffic light; there was no way to escape. From that day on I keep a full car length from the vehicle ahead of me, gives me room to run.

4 Likes

If anyone was to approach your vehicle and hopefully there was space in the rear, in an emergency, shift to reverse and floor it. You will grab attention of others for sure

2 Likes

This could be another scenario for OP (original thread) not to have car holster - provided bad guys do not do extensive body search. If they do, and if one has firearm on, you got another problem to deal with.

But in general this situation could have been avoided by locking the car, not rolling down the windows, leaving enough room or having an escape route etc. At the same time, if the bad guy got into vehicle, driver should be able to pull the firearm out if it is accessible and if driver has practiced to draw.

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:
Never thought about itā€¦I always keep sharpened pencil (not pen) and paperā€¦

2 Likes

Also, if you have iPhone, and I am sure Android might have similar capabilities too, you can have a voice activated shortcut that will execute series of actions like reduce the brightness to zero, start recording, start texting to the people that you have defined in your shortcut, start recording and uploading it to cloud etc.
Itā€™s critical to have phone with enough juice, in front of you - accessible to you and remember to take it with you, if it is not on you, the moment you start thinking to walk out of carā€¦

4 Likes

Excellent case study and very good of you to be willing to share both your good decisions and your bad ones. Something for all of us to consider. Thanks for posting this.

4 Likes

As old Ben Franklin once said, " Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in none other."

2 Likes

Good situational awareness, and good lessons for everyone. From my previous experiences, the plate was probably stolen. I carry a Glock, so no worry about the safety. In my truck, itā€™s in an unsnapped holster just forward of the seat belt latch. One spare mag is in the tray by the shift lever on the console, and the other is in my shirt pocket. I have the doors set to lock automatically. My self-defense would be useless without a round in the chamber. Same at home. Mr Mossberg has a 2 3/4 in the chamber, and Mr Ruger has a 10-round magazine, with one in the chamber.

3 Likes

I commend you on your situational awareness. Good job.

3 Likes

I have three daughters. They are all grown now and have grown children (for the most part). When the girls were growing up I had but one rule for them ; Pay attention to what youā€™re doing. I now tell my grandkids there is a second rule: If in doubt, refer to rule No. 1. This was never more evident when we were stationed in Greece. This was a confusing time because there was a major election and the biggest concern was to close the American Base at Helinikon. To begin with, there was no on-base housing, and several base agencies including day-care and schools were off-base. Not authorized to wear uniforms off-base at any time. We were told to ā€œde-Americanizeā€ your car. At the time there were 127 splinter or active terrorist groups in the country, with most in the Athens area. We had demonstrations with thousands of participants at the front gate, car bombings and flag burnings and general harassment from agitators. From the moment we got there, my antenna was up and was always on the alert. This had a profound impact on me and my family. At the time, I was not aware of the ā€œcolor codeā€ but rest assured it was never below yellow.

3 Likes

Glad it turned out ok. I use an IWB right hand belt clip holster, but I carry it like an OWB with my belt around the holster and thru belt clip. This holds it closer to my body, and keeps it from flopping around when Iā€™m walking. Sometimes I carry it on my right side, but when Iā€™m driving, I carry it cross draw where it is accessible with the seat belt on. Also, this way I donā€™t have to buy pants large enough to accommodate the weapon, just a larger belt. :slight_smile: My Shield has no thumb safety. Stay Alert, stay alive. Itā€™s a jungle out there.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I bought a strap mount for a holster centered below my steering column. Makes my weapon and extra magazine easily accessible with either hand. Very convenient.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Dennis246 and God bless you.

1 Like

Never a good idea to carry a fully loaded weapon in your pocket without safety engaged. the split second required to disengage as you level weapon isnā€™t a hinderance to your safety. A self-inflicted gsw definitely is. Training with your weapon so that flicking off the safety is a muscle memory event not requiring conscious thought

4 Likes

Good thinking. It probably wouldā€™ve been a good idea to call the cops though. But hey, you live and you learn.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mark_A4 !

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mark_A4 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Thank you for the open and warm welcome. It is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes