All Expense Paid Vacation Ideas

I have been given an all expense paid vacation to anywhere in the world. I am a bit overwhelmed as, let’s face it, beyond the “I don’t feel worthy”, the world is a big place to choose from.

Given the oportunity, where would you pick, and why? I am looking for ideas …

3 Likes

Alaskan cruise. I have friends that have done this. The video and pictures they bring back are amazing.

3 Likes

Nepal. “Low” altitude walkabout.

2 Likes

Good for you!

All depend what kind of person you are and if you go alone or not.
If you like to do nothing, just relax and enjoy free unlimited time - Austrian Alps would be my choice.
Want a vacation with excitement and good memories? Paris, Amsterdam or London.
If you are traveler - Italy…

USA doesn’t need “all expense paid vacation”… most people can afford it.

2 Likes

I would pick the Alaska cruise also. :slightly_smiling_face: Lucky you.
Honestly, myself, I wouldn’t go anywhere near Europe right now. :thinking:
At least in Alaska it looks like you could use your Florida CCL.

3 Likes

Tokyo.

Safe, different, technology, FOOD (more Michelin stars than anywhere else)

3 Likes

Speak for yourself.

2 Likes

Or the Far East. Think China invading Taiwan and all air traffic shut down. Remotely possible. :man_shrugging:

Keep them coming! Totally agree, Alaska is spectacular :+1: , but have been there several times. I have been fortunate to have been to Italy, Greece. Croatia, Monaco, Spain, England, Germany, Belgium in Europe either thru work or pleasure trips.

My 1st thought was Galapacos or Turks & Caicos, but my wife said I would be making that trip by myself :frowning: My wife is intrigued with Bali, but I am not. I am holding back on my current thoughts as I don’t want to put any limits on brainstorming. Japan and India suggested by @mattm and @Nathan57 , are both places I’ve never been.

Edit: Sorry, I omitted France from the European countries I have traveled thru, we spent a week in Paris and Reims in 2001

3 Likes

Yaaa… If we could afford it Nancy and I would be on that Alaska Cruise. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was answering to @Gary_H . I don’t care about your vacation.

How limited are you? If Europe was worth a damn, I’d look at Greece or Italy. Spend a day in Athens, and then go for a cruise of the Greek isles, including a stop on Crete to visit the Minoan ruins - spend a day in Rome, then visit Italy’s regions, for examples. HEAVILY research your destinations and stops - laws, rates-of-exchange, food, lodging, transportation, etc., along with any ruins or museums. My younger brother on a tour of Italy discovered that he had to pay a fee not only for restaurant service, but also for the use of a table to eat inside out of the weather.

1 Like

I am simply saying that your sweeping generalization that most Americans can afford a luxury vacation is an erroneous, if common, trope. I also did not ask that you, or anyone else, care about my vacation.

Unless I have misunderstood your post?? Unlikely, but possible.

You didn’t understand the meaning of last sentence because you just isolated it from the whole post.
If you have option for “all expense paid vacation” you definitely would prefer to visit the place you cannot afford. Don’t you think the trip to Europe to visit the most expensive part of it is a better deal than visiting local attractions?
Anyway… it’s not a place to discuss our preferences. We are just giving @Gary_H some ideas.

1 Like

I would eat my way through Italy.

1 Like

See? I did misinterpret your meaning. In my defense, a couple more words at the beginning of the sentence would have made your meaning clearer, i.e., Travel inside “USA doesn’t need an all expense paid vacation” .

Forgive me for not divining your true meaning. :man_bowing:

3 Likes

If you want more of a nature-style trip in a different area than your previous trips, I might suggest New Zealand. Their forests have ferns the size of palm trees, trees the width of small garages, minimal dangerous animals, and a temperate climate.

Right now might not be the best time for SE Asia. I don’t know how Japan is now, but a decade or so ago they were hurting pretty bad… at least many of the locals. If the pandemic restrictions slow down in the country, I might suggest Palawan in the Philippines. However, the lockdowns there were pretty harsh last year.

3 Likes

If someone gave me a bunch of money to go anywhere I’d probably maximize my returns by going to Asia or Europe. But Central and South America have some interesting destinations.

National Geographic offers some interesting and very expensive guided excursions to a lot of different places around the world.

4 Likes

“Anywhere in the world” for me is Europe. I would start with flying to England, then travel by land to Ireland and Scotland. Next, take the English Tunnel to get to mainland Europe and travel by train to get to as many countries as possible.

1 Like

How about way south of the border, like Cancun, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, or Brazil-Rio de Janeiro.

1 Like