AIWB In a Thunderstorm

Thoughts? (twenty char)

2 Likes

I love AIWB, mainly because I am a slim built guy.

5 Likes

Tried it once. I’m afraid of having an unplanned sex change.

6 Likes

I guess I’m a bit confused about the topic. Thunderstorm?

4 Likes

I have two friends that have had keys stricken from their hands by lightning. Having a hunk of steel in your pants could be disconcerting.

3 Likes

I think the odds are acceptable :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes
7 Likes

Myth : Structures with metal, or metal on the body (jewelry, cell phones,Mp3 players, watches, etc), attract lightning.
Fact: Height, pointy shape, and isolation are the dominant factors controlling where a lightning bolt will strike. The presence of metal makes absolutely no difference on where lightning strike… When lightning threatens, take proper protective action immediately by seeking a safe shelter — don’t waste time removing metal. While metal does not attract lightning, it does conduct it so stay away from metal fences, railing, bleachers, etc.

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-myths

5 Likes

Internet lies, weather people lie, government lies. Sometimes things just happen…

2 Likes

Transcarry

4 Likes

@KillJoy if you are in prison you can get a free sex change on us taxpayers.
:us::us::us:

2 Likes

@Robert_M3 you can’t be too careful. The Great Outdoors - Reg (Full Scene) - YouTube

3 Likes

Does that mean I can get a penile enlargement too? :crazy_face:

@KillJoy I hear they only have size small. They have a back log of hemorrhoid problems.:us::us::us:

2 Likes

I used to be thin! :rofl:
My problem is I am left handed, yes I could put on my belt the other way or wear my buckle way over to the left but I seem to still have problems. Maybe it’s just my ag, I’m 67.

While I believe the fact listed by @Alces_Americanus I think that only applies to attracting lightning. If you are touching metal when lightning strikes I am pretty sure it can increase your risk of injury.

I have first hand experience with a very close strike where the electricity traveled up my metal hiking stick raising the hair on the arm holding the stick even though it had a foam handle. The handle was soaked in rain which probably helped conduct the electricity to.

Anyways, odds are incredibly small of getting struck and if your holster keeps the metal parts of the gun from directly touching your skin then is likely won’t increase injuries.

This is a noted warning sign for hikers in Yosemite on the way up to Half Dome. If the hair on your arms begins to stand up, the atmosphere is becoming charged with electricity. Time to turn around and go back down! (An aside: if anyone’s interested in this subject, check out the book Shattered Air A True Account of Catastrophe and Courage on Yosemite’s Half Dome by Bob Madgic, et al.)

5 Likes

I was in the middle of a thick hilly forest with nowhere to go. My first reaction was to toss the walking stick drop my pack and get on hands and knees as far from the tree trunks as I could get. It was simultaneous flash/bangs all around me for what seemed like an eternity. When the the storm eased up a bit I gathered my stuff and ran as fast as I could for an open fronted shelter that was a mile or so away. Spent the next couple hours trying not to pass away from hypothermia.

Not sure if it is still recomended. But the theory of getting on your hands and knees is that if lightning does hit you it will go through an arm or a leg to get to the ground instead of through your heart.

4 Likes

While I was still in High School during one summer I was returning no a greyhound about 60 miles before El Paso TX. And it was heavy showers and lightning when a camouflaged jeep pulled around the bus on the left side and it had a high cb antenna sticking up and just as they hit a body of water that the rain filled in a low spot in the road up ahead and they where hit by lightning and having their wheels in water up on the wheel rims they were truly fried , naturally we pulled over and the bus driver call the Texas police. We could see that the lightning hit the antenna, so it’s true that lightning is attractive to any thing higher.

2 Likes

That sounds like a U.S. Army “truck”, a jeep, that I used to drive in the 80’ before being replaced by HUMMERS. Drove that too.

1 Like