Advice from the .45 acp owners in the community

When they formed that group I did not get an invite!

My experience with and fondness for the .45 ACP goes back to my active duty days before they switched to the Beretta.

My first .45 was a Para GI Expert that I won in a raffle. I carried it for awhile but went looking for something a little lighter.
Para

I went shopping for a 9mm and came across the Springfield Armory XDS Mod 2 3.3 and fell in love with it in .45 ACP. It is my EDC.

XDS

Both are well below your target price. I buy guns for shooting not bragging so my budget is lower than yours.

2 Likes

There are a TON of excellent .45acp guns out there, and as you have seen here, not all are 1911’s either. How about a Sig P220? I owned a Ruger P90 for a while. Capable gun, but far larger than it needs to be in my opinion. I have far more time, and rounds, through 1911’s than anything else in any caliber. I like to shoot my Glock 41 too (long slide .45acp). Just not as sexy to shoot as a 1911. :smiley:

3 Likes

This is just for shooting and the $1,200 is a max not necessarily what I want to spend. Besides spending stimulus on something that pisses DC off is a double bonus.

6 Likes

Amen to that.

6 Likes

Welcome to my rabbit hole :laughing:
When I was a LEO my agency permitted us to carry anything .38 Spl or larger.
I took the bait and learned whatever supposed improvement came along—Magnums, Wunder nines, etc…spent a lot of money trading handguns…until our training officer told me to stick with one firearm and caliber until I could ace Qualifications with it. Not just pass, but ace. The easiest was with a K frame borrowed from the evidence locker, and then an N frame and then a Detective Special. Then a 1911 and then a J frame.
If you’re parachuting into the Golden Triangle it’s probably an excellent idea to know how to shoot whatever weapons you’re likely to come across.
Otherwise, with finite resources, you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul unless you prefer the .45ACP. Which is perfectly understandable. Your choice, of course.

5 Likes

If you are looking for a metal framed single action only (SAO), I think the main options are the 1911 (plus clones) and the P220 SAO version.

Most other metal frame 45’s are going to be DA/SA. IMO, they require additional training to become proficient with the double to single transition. Many people skip the DA while at the range, but IMO it’s even more important to get the DA first shot and transition down.

Some DA/SA options in a metal frame inlcude the Sig P220, Baby Eagle 45, CZ, Stoeger Cougar (used), and S&W metal framed pistols like the 4506 (used). I’m a 10mm fan, so I have the 1006, but I have shot and liked the 4506 and it’s variants. However, parts are hard to find nowadays.

1 Like

Thanks. You’re correct on the DA/SA shortcut at the range, I do it with my .32acp already, so I’m better off not going down that path.

1 Like

Springfield Armoury, “Ronin” full size 45acp $900. Learn the skills to shoot a 1911, then look into smaller SA Range Officer! Just my 2¢

1 Like

I have a beef with Kimbers 2 of the 3, I own I would not trust as a EDC they tend to stove pipe on me too many times. Needless to say I won’t buy any more of them. Before any one offers suggestions I have cleaned and oiled them regularly and replace recoil springs to no avail.

2 Likes

thank you for your input, not looking to conceal carry this firearm, so smaller range officer really doesn’t apply

1 Like

@William591 I’m a 45 guy in general when it comes to pistols and they are the majority of my stable. I have 45ACP, 45LC and 45 Win Mag. I even have a 45/90 but that’s a lever gun. For the number of years that I built 1911’s for fun and a little profit I only have 3 now, I’ll get a couple back when people die (Dad, Step Dad, Father in Law etc.). Colt Officers Model, RIA Rock Standard that is no longer “Standard” and a 1939 Colt 1911A1 that saw action in Europe. The other platforms you may wish to look at are SA XD (1st Gen) at 13+1 rnds striker fire and the EAA Witness at 10+1 DA/SA but it fits in any CZ75/Beretta holster and is all steel. I agree with @Jerzees that until you get past $1500 a 1911 is a 1911 and RIA is the best bargain in town. If it’s just going to be a “fun gun” get what ever feels the best to you and enjoy it. 45 is a great cartridge to shoot.

I’m almost dreading deer season this year as it will be my first time out with my LAR Grizzly in 45 Win Mag as it weighs a ton but I am always hopeful for my Grand Slam season, 1 with Black Powder, 1 with Bow, 1 with rifle and 1 with pistol.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Thanks for the information. It will be a fun gun, but with today’s climate, another available tool is always appreciated. Hope you have a huge freezer for when you fill your deer Grand Slam. Pistol, true handgun or a braced AR/AK variant?

1 Like

I’ve been hunting with a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Magnum (Pistol) for 2 decades (my Dad carried it in Vietnam to good effect) this LAR Grizzly is an overgrown 1911 that I fell in love with back in 86’ but had not been able to find, now I have one and am itching to send 230gr 's down range at 1600 fps. Sometimes I get a bow and no BP other times I get no bow and BP Sometimes I get a pistol and no BP or Bow. The rifle is a given pretty much, I have let more walk than I have taken. I try to do some heard management but the reality is I can kill all does and be quite happy and not damage the heard. The state rules are something else but I abide by them even if as a land owner I don’t have to. If I needed to fill my freezers it would take a weekend and I could have half a dozen deer hanging. VA deer are rather small so a good size doe or buck will come in at 80+ lbs dressed and it takes me 2 days to trim it out the way I do it and end up with +/- 50 lbs of meat ready for the pan. I think the biggest VA deer I ever killed was 120lbs dressed and it was a doe.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I don’t find the trigger overtravel on the FNX 45 to be a problem and in fact when shooting I don’t notice it at all. Great weapon.

Larry

1 Like

The Springfields and Dan Wesson’s are nice. From the 900 to 1500 price range. The Dan Wesson’s are slick as glass with a really nice crisp trigger pull and G10 grips.

3 Likes

I carry a Sig Sauer Emperor Scorpion Fastback. It’s a Commander with 4.2" barrel. Smoothest 45 I have ever fired.

3 Likes

Very sweet pistol! :heart:

2 Likes

Is this it? Nice.

1 Like

Interesting. I have never had that issue with mine. I only have experience with the one though, as far as Kimber goes.

1 Like

If was spending 1200 clams on one 45, I’ll take a Sig Spartan.

2 Likes