Accidentally Forgotten About Ammo?

I lost a 7 rnd. mag of Hornaday Critical Defense 9mm in late October last year, I looked for it off and on all winter. It fell out of my back pocket when I was trimming shrubs.
In April this year I was raking leaves and uncovered the mag. It was rusted and dirty after 6 months in the weather. I cleaned the dirt and rust off and found the bullets to be visually OK (no corrosion on the casings) and the mag was OK on the inside but had some deeper rust on the outside. I scrubbed the mag clean and reassembled it.
I took the mag to the range and it worked OK but I tried to fire the bullets one at a time just to see but all of the primers were dead so I disposed of them in the dud bin.

2 Likes

I had one round that when I unloaded my carry gun to take in the range that went missing but zi found it under the seat in my car a couple of days ago .

1 Like

I discovered a plastic baggie of 15 rounds of ,38 reloads in my desk drawer.
Why just 15 rounds, I’ve no idea.
With a scarcity of ammo around here, I’m grateful to have some extra range loads :grin:

2 Likes

I had the opposite.

I was going to bring the wife’s LCR 357 EDC from her purse, to one of my classes for show and tell.
Upon opening the cylinder, it only had 3 rounds in it. Two missing out of the cylinder!!!

When I asked her what happened to the two missing rounds (no spent casings or anything, just gone) she asked “what’s a cylinder”?

2 Likes

Do you shoot much? How do you log every single round? I shoot nearly a thousand rounds every two weeks. I’ve never considered it necessary to log every round. And it would be nearly impossible to log each rapid fire round?

1 Like

Weeelllll, similar to your photo of “me”, LOL, I use a spotter! I do shoot as much as my budget will allow (when ammo was inexpensive roughly 200 to 600 rounds a week, depending on the weapon) and my range doesn’t allow 600 to 900 RPM to go down range. That’s typical cyclic rate for an assault rifle.
Now, if you think about it, two hours on the range, for some, that’s a yearly salary down range!
Spray and pray days are twice a month and again, budget didn’t allow for full auto weapons.
On days that rapid rapid fire is authorized family and friends always act as spotters and loggers. Even during competition rounds are accounted for, by judges and teammates.
FYI, I use 5 x7 lined journals with a custom stamp to log all my D.O.P.E.
Some call it a Sniper Data Book.

You know the maintenance log book you receive with your new car, I’ve never used that in my life, but my weapon logs are used religiously. Go figure!

1 Like

Hi Scott52,
Thanks for replying! First of all, I rarely shoot full auto or even 3 round bursts. My rapid fire is engaging multiple static and several targets on the move. Probably 50-60 rounds in a pass all semi-auto. The only time I log individual rounds is when I test new loads. Otherwise I do log most of my range visits, and all of the classes I teach. Most groups I teach and train with require round counts hit/miss records, etc. I’ve never been a big fan of full auto fire. Not only is it expensive but useless in almost all cases. When I read your post I started to think back about the hundreds of thousands of rounds I’ve sent down range over 50+ years and what a log book would have looked like. Made me chuckle a little! Thanks for that!

3 Likes