Accidentally Forgotten About Ammo?

Sunday is a popular day for cleaning and laundry. Have you ever been moving laundry and found a round or two in the bottom of the washing machine?

Maybe you’re cleaning out your purse/work bag or emptying your pants pockets (before they go into the wash) and found a stray round. Where else have you found a round when you weren’t expecting it?

What do you do to safely dispose of that round?

4 Likes

Since I hand load, I’ll pull down any suspect rounds for the brass and projectile components.

4 Likes

Th only place I have found loose rounds has been in my range bag, but then i expect that once in a while.

4 Likes

I’ve found empty casings in my shirt pocket, but never a complete cartridge.

But if I did, I would store it/them in rice till next range trip and shoot them literally one round at a time being suspicious of weak and/or potentially squib shots. In other words, one round only in a magazine, fire, inspect empty firearm for clear barrel, repeat until all laundered rounds are used. If any of them did not fire, I would ask the range for recommendation regarding disposal.

3 Likes

The other day when I left the range and was pulling out my mag with my hollow points in it. I was like what is that cause there was something else in my pocket. It was a ejected brass from the guy next to me shooting or me that some how went into my pocket lol. That was a first for me and my son and I could not stop laughing and wondering how it did that

5 Likes

I used to hunt a whole lot and I wore coats on a daily basis with shell loops in the pockets. If you wear it enough, the extra weight of 10 12 ga shotgun shells becomes “normal” unless only one pocket has ammo in it. Many times, I have found 12 ga shotgun shells in these coats in times and places where it could have been awkward (like the court house). Similarly, I used to donate Leatherman multitools to the TSA on a regular basis.

2 Likes

Funny you ask this,

We found, actually the authorities found 100 ,357mag rounds in our suitcase that we were using to get on a Disney Cruise! Customs, Cocoa Beach Police, and ATF all grabbed me and the family inline to get on the ship. As soon as I saw (always in condition yellow) plain clothes LE walking through the lines holding suspect pictures and looking at guests, I thought , someones in trouble, Funny, it was us (me).

As soon as they arrested us (no, not in handcuffs), they separated me from the wife and kids (it’s always the male that gets busted) I knew immediately it was the extra ammo in my suitcase that I forgot to take out and leave in the car.

After about an hour of questioning, and explanation that this was ammo for my EDC and that I was at my brothers visiting Florida and we went to the range. They verified that I had a LTC and a walk to the car to verify that this ammo caliber matched my EDC. I (we) were let go, and were able to get on the ship.

When brought down to customs to ID my bag EVERY worker in this huge warehouse area had been ordered to a complete stop from working during the investigation. They were all staring at me, I felt like Kizer Soshae (sp).

You know what was actually kind of amusing about the whole thing, in the security room with all the LEOs everywhere, there was a box of donuts on the table.

11 Likes

The only surprise I’ve found behind my washing machine was a envelope with $2k cash… :grimacing: :money_mouth_face:

Live rounds…never at home, but found few on outside range.
One, .308 Winchester, I keep on my desk for decoration. All others I put into special box the range has for them.

2 Likes

I once found loose rounds in my jeans pocket. I must have had a loose magazine in my pocket and they came loose out of the magazine. I just put them back in the box and shot them on my next range trip.

2 Likes

I never put rounds in anything except my guns, my magazines, my range bag and my safe. I don’t use my range bag for anything except the range.

That helps keep rounds from being forgotten elsewhere.

5 Likes

I’ve never found a live round, found a lot of casings. Usually recycle them for a friend.

1 Like

Oh bother! Stray rounds! I was in Mexico and coming back to the states and they found two rounds on my car floor. That was a situation of undesirable circumstances. After drilling me and my friends separately, as our story all held water, we were let go after a thorough look throughout my car. Days before we were at a range shooting at a competition and with the guns in the trunk and the ammo in the back seat, I apparently did not do a thorough cleaning job.
I have become a lot more aware of those type of things now. As for questionable rounds I have a reloader that I can pull the bullet and reuse the brass.

2 Likes

I’ve had casings find their way into my range bag and be missed until later but never a complete round.

1 Like

Washing machine, pull the bullet and powder and throw the case in the to be reloaded bucket. I have a bunch of stray rounds in my truck along with at least one bulk pack of .22lr. There it’s practice ammo so I will shoot it.

1 Like

Thankfully, never.

1 Like

Here’s a secondary question for you. what happens in the same situation when you find a round of a caliber that you don’t own??? There’s something to think about… :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Money launderer…

5 Likes

:joy: it wasn’t on purpose… I’ve just forgotten about the envelope and found it few days later… :grimacing:

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

TSA found a couple spent shell casings in my laptop bag once. It was a very interesting experience.

That morning, I was at a police shooting range showing the people at the range something on my laptop and after, fired off a few rounds using their department’s pistols and had some fun. Didn’t notice a couple brass shell casings fell into my dang laptop bag…and then went straight to the airport where I had an afternoon flight back home. Sadly…I didn’t make that flight because not only did the xray catch the spent casings (which were a surprise to me), but then they demanded they swab my hands for gunshot residue even though I told them i was just at a range with officers not 2 hours prior. I did eventually get home and never again brought my laptop bag to a gun range so it was a heck of a learning experience.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m a bit anal, But I’ve never found a round where it wasn’t supposed to be, plenty of empty cartridges, in clothing, pockets, bags, under the car seat, etc. Maybe I had some good teachers, (the military) so every single round, I have ever shot, has been accounted for and logged. I’ve taught all my kids and grandkids, you must account for every round. If you’ve ever had to use a round in the line of duty, it has to be accountable. Just the way I was brought up.

3 Likes