About the Mental Training category

Have a hypothetical scenario? Wondering how to put a home evacuation plan in place? This is where we’ll discuss mental exercises and preparedness planning.

2 Likes

As empty-nesters now, I worry less about how our family would react and evacuate in the event of a home burglary or related emergency. However, my wife and I have had discussions about what we would do if we heard someone breaking in. What would we do first? (Arm myself.) Where would we go? (Me to the hallway, my wife the the master bedroom closet, phone in hand to call 911.) I hope that we never have to practice what we preach, but at least we talk about it.

Home evacuation or emergency is a large topic area, First half would be if an intruder entered your house as a burglary or if home invasion. Two different scenarios totally. If its night and you have a suspected burglar enter, as Vaughn said, arm yourself, have a pre-plan safe room, but do not get into a Fatal Funnel situation such as a hallway. Remember bullets will penetrate walls so prepare pre-establish concealment or if the hallway was on a second story, take a low prone position and let the burglar be the one coming into the Fatal Funnel up the stairs. Always have your sidearm close and prepared for a home invasion.

I suggest carrying a go-bag in your vehicle with specific items if you get stranded in a incident that will get you home within 2 or 3 days and survive the local weather. There are tons of go-bag lists for a single day and more.

1 Like