A trip to the range offers a reminder why I don't open carry

Open carry? Conceal carry? It has been the subject of MANY discussions, while it is a huge discussion, can we all agree that along as you are responsible with your firearms and are following the law, that we are safer than waiting on the police to show up?

“Hold on guys, don’t try to kill me or my family yet. Just wait 10 or 15 minutes until the police get here”. Sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? And especially now, when the police are having their hands tied behind their backs and afraid to do anything because of the anti police movement (which the media is more than happy to stoke racial divide and anarchy) that’s going across the nation.

If you don’t or can’t open carry, then don’t.
If you do and can can open carry, great. How you carry is totally a personal preference. Now as I have said before, I carry 2 firearms daily (especially in the house, because we all know this dirty DECEPTICONS are everywhere) , my main go to is in the shoulder holster and my backup is in deep concealment with my G2 holster.

Anyway my family, I’m sorry for the lengthy reply, but I just want everyone to know this. I love all of you, we may not agree on everything, but that’s ok. We stand together for our right to protect ourselves and our families.

Much love,
Brian

13 Likes

You’re prior service, correct?

1 Like

Very Interesting. Some of it, like the evolving attitude towards concealed carry, i was somewhat aware of, but i did not know the evolution by which my new home state went from no issue, to eventually, a form of constitutional carry. From my early days, and reinforced a number of times thereafter, police officers i had known would caringly advise that they can not prevent crime and will always suffer a response time at best. For this, and many other reasons, I believe our right to bear arms is crucial, and those who can, and wish to practice it, should. I think it almost rises to the level of a duty in a country like ours was intended to be. But like driving a car, it has it’s very serious responsibilities too, not the least of which is the due regard for others.

Thanks for the great information Mike.

5 Likes

A few years back, we had in the Los Angeles area a group called the South Bay Open Carry Asso. This was a small group of yahoos who, since California had no restrictions on open carry, thought they would run around southern California and show John Q. Public that they had the right to carry a firearm without as much as a by-your-leave. It is the case these days, that seeming intelligent people do not have a modicum of sense. In California, I would estimate that roughly 70-80% of the population could not tell you what end of a firearm the bullet exits from. Bottom line is that most Californians don’t own guns, don’t understand guns but they do know that guns are bad. So, everytime one of these guys (or gals) would walk into a public place wearing the “big iron”, mothers with kids would notice, fathers with kids would notice and they did not share the SBOCA’s opinion that Americans should be permitted to walk around carrying sidearms, no matter if unloaded. Probably within a year, these concerned citizens got to their representatives in the state legislature and told them that this ■■■■ had to cease, Their legislators heard the cry of their constituents, crafted a Bill prohibiting open carry which passed both houses and which Jerry Brown signed, And just to add insult to injury, he signed another Bill prohibiting the open carry of long arms in public as well. So there. :laughing:

8 Likes

cc for me when in public. dont want grandma freaking out so i can explain my self to law enforcement whos looking for a reason to take you downtown

8 Likes

Why do you tip toe and make excuses for being perfectly legal for your area. You might just be burning up WAY to much energy and thought into this situation IMHO. Although your situation awareness rocks… Don’t let other people who think differently influence your life. It’s much too short

10 Likes

I do get accused of that sometimes,( putting too much thought into something ) but I’ve lived long enough to learn that most of the time, my first instinct is the right one in the end, ( for me ). That includes things that prompt me to give extra consideration or thought that i know others will often feel was unnecessary. In this case It’s a conscious choice on my part to seek to avoid multiple contacts with law enforcement over something preventable, even if i have every legal right to do it. I wish other people, who think differently, were unable to exert influence on my life choices, but for me it’s just not the way it works out. The most unpleasant things i can remember were very often the result of not thinking enough, so, I live with knowing I sometimes think too much, instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

IMO the primary reason for carrying concealed is tactical advantage. if the perp doesn’t know that you’re armed–and managed to close in and “get the drop on you”–you have a chance of counter-ambushing him by drawing while pretending you’re complying and reaching for your wallet. They also won’t try to snatch that which they don’t know is there.
I understand the argument of open carry advocates, that we need to “innoculate” people to gun ownership–and there really is a lot leftist brainwashing that needs to be undone–I do think it can be counter productive sometimes, especially if people are stupid about it: like carrying battle rifles into Starbucks to make a political statement. Having said that, I’m not too sympathetic with people being uncomfortable with the exercise of Constitutional rights. That’s part of the problem. Me? I’ll make political statements verbally, and keep my weapons hidden for dealing with threats to life&limb.

7 Likes

Do you want me to really be honest. I don’t tell anyone that I carry, just a thought. I have been carrying for nearly 20 yrs. and no one knows I conceal carry,. I don’t think it is a wise choice to let anyyone know you carry, not you brother. I don’t believe you should carry at all, but since all the crazy events in the last 20 yrs. or so it is a must if you have a permit. I don’t know. We just have to be very very careful while carrying concealed or not. If you shoot someone, that is a guilt you don’t want to carry on your heart. I mostly carry concealed cuz I can and because I want to protect others. We need to go to training that really teaches you common sense and when to be restrained. Restrained is the big one, Does someone breaking into your shed really give you a right to shoot them, Nope. Is someone breaking into your home give you a reason to shoot someone, Nope. I will not shoot someone in my home for just breaking in, I will announce my firearm, will let them know if you continue and don’t stop and while calling the police and they emproach me I will then use deadly force. We need to think smartly, not I can shoot because I have a right…Blessings!

8 Likes

Husband: Does this gun make me look fat?
Wife: No babe. You look great!

10 Likes

Does the gun make look fat? Why does that strike me so funny? I mean, of all the things i never thought to consider… unless you meant “phat”.

5 Likes

I’ve carried a gun for well over 50 years, both open & concealed, on & off duty. My choice is always to carry concealed. I don’t want anyone to know that I am armed. You should not want them to know either. I like having the element of surprise should I find myself in a situation where I need to use my gun. You should too. Everyone, be safe out there.

8 Likes

Oklahoma is a now an open carry state but honestly I only do that between the house and the truck and vice versa. I guess the seat hits it just right and makes my LCR dig in so it’s in my back pocket and then wedged between seat and console. I use a sticky holster so it transfers to my hip nice and easy. If someone wants to open carry I’m cool it’s their right. Personally I prefer that others don’t know that I carry, it saves me from having conversations that I don’t care to take part in.

5 Likes

I live in a constitutional carry state and I’d say I’ve only openly carried twice in the seven years we’ve had it. Once was a week ago when protests were occurring less than a mile from my house but even then I didn’t leave the house so that doesn’t really count.

I do get your point though. Whether we like it or not guns do scare some people and there’s nothing wrong with respecting that or not wanting to bring unnecessary attention to yourself. I live in MS so I don’t have much to worry about on that front. We have a lot of people who carry here, I’m pretty sure even some of our :dog2: walk around strapped. Seriously though, the only time it bothers me personally is when I see an unsafe method of carry and unfortunately I see that more often than I’d like.

6 Likes

I always CC unless out on my property. We hen in public, it’s concealed. Mainly for the same reasons stated. Recently, at a fast food restaurant, someone looking for a problem came into the establishment. Quickly zeroed in on me. I didn’t give him what he was looking for and ignored him. He got behind me and must have noticed the bulge under my shirt because he became suddenly silent. Ofcourse the whole time I’m thinking of what my reaction would be if anyone reach for or touched my weapon. I was reminded how open carry and just the site of a weapon, is enough for someone looking for trouble or an opportunity. Open carry is a deterrent in many cases and lucky for me on this day, my concealment wasn’t perfect. I live in Arizona a constitutional carry state. Many open carry, many more CC. I think if everyone carried, society might be a friendlier place.

8 Likes

i live in south ms. i open carry most of the time i am planning to get an enhanced conceal carry permit but i find it difficult to cc as i am 5’9" 314 pounds and i have to use full frame guns because when your ring finger is size 13 holding a small frame gun is difficult to say the least but i find that 90% of my interactions is positive i have ask me about the state gun laws here in ms. and i politely explain i find the people most of time dont know how to ask so when they do it comes out confrontational for example the other day while shopping when a lady stopped and hay are supposed to be wearing that in here with a defensive demeanor in her voice but when i replied yes mame ms law allows open carry turned out she had just moved here from a northern state and was thankful i explained the law because she also wanted to carry but didn’t know law in ms now had i become defensive to her way of questioning way could this had turned different i believe it would have

6 Likes

I live in CA, I believe both options are vital for proper protection of self and property. I have my cc and carry daily, with all these riots and mass gathering going on I believe if Californians where allowed to oc that we could group up and hang out like the people from Idaho did. The protesters could do there thing peacefully and the looters could stay home. Just my thought.

6 Likes

A wise man. I fail to understand why someone would willing do something that will draw unfavorable attention in their direction. Seems to me there are a sufficient number of issues going on in our world without adding to the situation. I DO open carry a revolver here on the farm for snakes, coyotes and other varmints. Many neighbors do the same.

5 Likes

Right after my state went Open Carry I made a trip to Walmart and what a shock it was to see a guy open carrying his firearm. My thought was: If I was a mass shooter about to open up, this guy would be my first target. Right then I decided I will NEVER open carry. Better no one knows I have a firearm.

7 Likes

In a state where you cannot carry concealed you may need to rely on the open carry ( the Constitution second amendment) to open there eyes to the Constitution to change the local laws which are not legal according to the constitution . I myself don’t advocate open carry but sometimes you gotta open up the eyes of the law So they will grant concealed weapon permit’s. So sometimes it’s necessary to open carry Long enough to get them to change the law it’s true they don’t want to buy open carrying so they have to grant to conceal weapons . I live in Mary.

3 Likes