A reason why to always be prepared.

The last month or two if I walked outside my house at night this creature would be roaming my yard. Sometimes two and other times a momma and three young ones.

7 Likes

Hope there’s a stand your ground law, momma bear has her own set of rules, she will protect her young, your ground or hers! No predators in her world, barring humans!
We need to become the bear! Bears don’t retreat!

6 Likes

How far do you think she retreated in the day?

3 Likes

Scott52, I’ve learned to check before exiting the house. I will try my best never to harm an innocent creature.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile::rofl::joy: Yep

2 Likes

I just got an AGM thermal monocular, the 160, cheapest one, just wanted to get my feet wet so to speak. Well, after 2 nights, I have decided to 1) carry my 14000 lumen flashlight or 2) stay indoors.
Probably going to get either pvs14 or a better thermal, but what I have right now reminds me of diving in shark infested murky water.
The past week has been possums, baby possum under the truck,skunk, 2 bears, one fox, one coyote, raccoons, Got resident rabbits and I leave dead mice out in the same spot whenever I trap one. The bigger critters have been daytime visitors…to the best of my knowledge. Freaking bear squashed my neighbors trash can a few nights ago. Straight down, like an accordion.
Glad my “up close and personal” black bear encounters have been with large males. Momma with cubs… fuhgeddaboudit.

3 Likes

I’ve been curious about them. Would it pick up a buck hiding just inside the brush and not going into a field to eat? Where he was close enough to look into the field, but not be noticed by me sitting on the opposite side.

2 Likes

Highly doubtful with this unit. What I’m getting walking around the yard at night is “OH CRAP A SKUNK” at like 15-20 yards, once they either come in from the brush or my “center island” of trees, woodpile and brush.
Pretty neat unit for $330( FocusCamera.com) though. It shows my motorhome like a grid, the framework on the body retaining heat, and going “red hot” shows the hot spots in my feet, as well as my blown out arteries :roll_eyes: in my leg.

3 Likes

Wild black bears are actually master conflict avoiders. They need to spend their time fattening up for winter and not wasting energy on squabbles with people and other bears.

The whole momma bear thing is also quite exaggerated concerning wild black bears. I have been between a mother and cubs on several occasions. Usually in thick forest where neither of us saw the other until we were too close. Even had a coworker who took a lunch break leaning against a tree with a cub in it. Didn’t realize it was there until they noticed the mother nervously peaking out from behind a nearby tree.

It is definitely a good idea to avoid getting too close to black bears. They are more than strong enough to take a person out if they wanted to. But talking calmly and slowly backing away will avoid conflict 99.9% of the time.

Wild brown bears are a different story though. Don’t get near their cubs. And black bears that have gotten habituated to humans and their food also can’t be trusted. Some of them end up as unpredictable and aggressive as the humans who are feeding them.

4 Likes

At what distance do you think your unit would let you detect an oh crap human stalking around in a lightly wooded area? I’ve been wanting a cheap thermal but would like to be able to ID potential threats out to at least 100 yards with it.

2 Likes

Limited experience so far, but at present with nights in the upper 70’s, I think you’d detect “something” at 100, and if standing could probably figure out what it was. Really pushing the limits though I think. I have clear identity on possum and skunk at about 30-40 yards and will update as experience grows. Dang skunk has stunk up the yard 4 nights in a row now…I ain’t going out there :sweat_smile:
Did just purchase a Sionyx Black, with 940nm IR light and a rail mount. I like the thought of using existing zeroed optics and off rifle usage. The 940 NM wavelength is invisible to the human eyeI read, as opposed to the 850nm, which was another plus Another toy,but now retired and time to play.
There’s good vids on YouTube to check this stuff out.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! Something I could quickly attach in front of or behind an existing red dot or scope but could also use independently would be ideal for me.

I had to use some low budget but at the time highly rated NV binoculars for wildlife research in the past. They were pretty much worthless. Could hear elk munching on grass less than 50 yards away but couldn’t see them. Had better luck using a nice set of regular binoculars if there was even just a tiny sliver of moon somewhere in the sky.

Right now most of my limited funds are going towards paying off last year’s medical bills so budget is the biggest factor. Unfortunately the “cheaper” stuff doesn’t seem remotely as good as the expensive stuff when it comes to NV. I keep hoping the technology will make good quality NV affordable. It seems to be getting better but still has a ways to go especially if you want to see things further away.

1 Like

Absolutely correct from my studies. It seems the quality of view is pretty linear with price point in both thermal and pvs.
I looked at the AGM thermals from the $330-$2k price point, thought about my kids pvs14 set up, sweet but $$$$, and I am far from “operator” status these days. Almost went for the Sitemark Wraith mini,$800, almost went for the AGM ts25-256, around $1200, toyed with the thought of higher level thermal or pvs, but one thing I learned the value of us ROI, and didn’t see myself getting a good return on that kind of money…but saw this Sionyx package deal on Amazon and as mentioned, liked that I could use my existing optics, as well as the 940nm light. Around $714 incl. rail mount…We’ll see…

1 Like

Got the Sionyx Aurora kit with IR light today. Very impressed. Spare batteries for both camera and light, very nice storage boxes, memory cards included. Tried it out, pitch black (room), nothing without light, like daytime with light. In the yard, shed at 80 yards, 10 p.m. cloudy, a few lights but pretty dark, shed at 80 yards was grainy but quite visible, trees were clear. With IR, it was like daytime. Slight blur when moving, but clears up quick. So far, quite impressed. IR spectrum…I couldn’t see it, even in a room. Big plus imo.
Just found this site…cheaper than Amazon…edit, 'cus they’re out of stock :skull_and_crossbones:

There’s a pic rail mount you can order as well…camera rated for 5.56. Too high for my scoped AR, but will be fine with prism and red dot sights…so I got some rearranging to do.
Edit… ordered from this place and it got cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances”. Sticking with my Amazon purchase…

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! Sounds very promising. Looking forward to hearing how far the IR light can actually reach out. Would also be curious to see what the whole setup looks like when you get it all mounted and lined up.

2 Likes

Going to be awhile…I’m returning the Amazon purchase and ordered from the above link. $60 is $60…surprised Amazon wouldn’t just price match.

Edit …order from the link got cancelled, bet they’re sold out…cripe after all the bs finding paper and getting my printer going :tired_face:

1 Like

Brother Bear 7 29 22
He was well fed. Close to my house. We also have Coyotes and Bobcats keeping us company

1 Like

Be grateful. They catch lots of mice. You’ll understand rats really is a dirty word after they eat the wiring harness of your car!

1 Like

Yeah good point

1 Like

I had a coworker who had wood rats get into her wiring when we were working in the middle of nowhere. We had to pull the vehicle to the nearest real road so a tow truck could bring it into town. Took three separate trips to the mechanic and $2500 to finally track down and fix all the damage they did.

Leaving the hood of your vehicle up over night will often prevent rat attacks. They don’t feel as safe to chew away when they can see the sky above them. I do this whenever I am forced to camp in an area with obvious wood rat sign.

1 Like